PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Specifically, tins of Mac Baren Golden Extra.
Anything to be gained by throwing a couple of tins into the closet and forgetting about them for a couple of years?
It's a tasty smoke for me right out of the tin.

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
I rarely if ever disagree with CE. Anyone who appreciates Bruce Weaver as much as I do can't be wrong... With burley I know the conventional wisdom says it does not get better but the tins of Burley Slice, ABF and the jars of Edgeworth RR Match I set back a couple years do seem to get better to my taste. The tins of Edgeworth Sliced I have where old when I got them and I never had it fresh, but the leaf in from is like nothing else I have experienced, although Burley Slice is close. So in my experience I do think Burley benefits from age.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most agree it keeps really well. I love the stuff. Improvement with aging is moot (arguable).

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have an old tin of MacB Symphony (1980s?), and it tastes very similar to fresh, but with a deeper, sweeter flavor. And it just sort of tastes old. It's different after all those years, but not a great deal "better," in my opinion. I would imagine that Golden Extra would age similarly. Also, because they're highly processed and cased, I don't imagine that any of the MacB blends would change as quickly or dramatically as more natural blends like Union Square, Christmas Cheer or any of the other C&D or McClelland VAs.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Burleys don't have the sugar that Virginias have, and don't benefit from the fermentation as much from aging. Burleys will mellow from age, but won't change dramatically as Virginia blends do.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Burleys age wonderfully well. They don't change much, maybe a bit more pronounced nuttiness, but they also don't croak out like Virginias eventually will do after many decades. Burley may be forever. The changes that posters have noted are more than likely the aging of the other components than the Burley.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The changes that posters have noted are more than likely the aging of the other components than the Burley.
I would think so, definitely. Golden Extra, like Symphony, has a share of VAs in it.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I put an opened tub of Carter Hall in a closet and forgot about it until 6 yrs later. When I found it I could taste a lot of difference. It was so much sweeter and was still fresh. It was in its original John Middleton tub.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Burleys will mellow from age
OJK and Billy Budd do mellow quite nicely with some time. Seems to take some snap/tart that I don't like out of them...

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
C&D burley smooths out. Ive said it before, but according to Pipe Lovers magazine from the 40's the conventional wisdom was that burley benefited from aging and virginia did not. OJK improves with age.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Anything to be gained by throwing a couple of tins into the closet and forgetting about them for a couple of years?
It will be delicious. It will also be delicious now, but a little more "green." Fear not :)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
C&D burley smooths out. Ive said it before, but according to Pipe Lovers magazine from the 40's the conventional wisdom was that burley benefited from aging and virginia did not. OJK improves with age.
I'd like to try aging my C&D burley blends, but they keep disappearing before I have the chance. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.