Does anyone else think it's funny how...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Esoterica blends are considered the pinnacle of pipe tobacco just because of the limited availability. I remember when they were easier to get and rarely talked about besides Penzance. This also happened around 2010-2011 when Samuel Gawith blends were very hard to get. It seemed like that the only thing that was talked about was the holy grail of tobacco...Full Virginia Flake. Everytime FVF became available it was a mad rush to get yours( sometimes with a limit of only 2 tins). Now that FVF is available anytime you want it, it is no longer raved about, much less even talked about. This is sure to happen with Esoterica blends namely Stonehaven, if they can ramp up production. Personally, Esoterica isn't even in my top 5 tobacco houses and produce average blends, nothing that really blows my socks off.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I think it's a cyclical phenomenon. I've yet to try any of their offerings, but will at some point. I'm only interested in 3. Stonegate, Penzance, and Margate. Having said that I'm not waiting in lines ir calling across the country to secure some. There are too many other readily available blends out there I haven't tried.
What I find funny is that there are individuals that have procured some of Esoterica's famous blends and have no idea what they taste like because they're waiting for them to age.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I tried Stonehaven a few days ago I liked it but I won't die trying to find it if it comes it comes. But I really did enjoy the smell of it almost like a freshly brewed cup of black coffee.

Jun 4, 2014
I've never smoked any of Escotrica's blends, but there are several I would like to try if I happen upon them. The clamor over them reminds me of the clamor I've seen over limited edition or hard to get cigars. In the end I wonder if the actual product, or the thrill of the hunt that fuels their status.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I have most all of them and I firmly believe they are some of the best blends out there.
And no, they won't be "ramping up production." From what I understand there's only a small number of people working at te factory. What they produce is what they produce.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have liked what I tried from Esoterica. And I have a little stored in my cellar. I don't fully agree with the idea of people buying the hard to find tobaccos and selling them for profit, but it is a free market and it doesn't matter how I feel about it haha.
I agree that probably half of the hype is due to the limited availability, and if supply were to meet demand some day, that they hype would disappear. Full Virginia Flake is a perfect example.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
@mrjerke...from what you understand there is only small amount of people working at the factory, what they produce is what they produce. It's the exact same that was said about the Samuel Gawith factory in 2010. Like I said this all sounds just like the Samuel Gawith shortage of 2010-11.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When tobaccos are produced in limited quantities, or they go out of production, it does enhance their

desirability, if they are appreciated at all. That's why diamonds cost more than creek stones, I suppose.

Though right now, with the extravagant number of blends in general, and good quality blends in

particular, it seems a shame to spend much time or money stalking the unattainable.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I would agree, the Esoterica blends don't do anything for me either, but there are blends that I really like that are hard to get. And without the idea of cellaring, I would be struggling to get those blends just as these guys are, however I stocked up. When I find something I love I buy as much of it as I can afford and so avoid the later desperation. Also there are a lot of really good smokes out there that aren't scarce such as FVF or Escudo, but that still doesn't cure the calling of the hard to find blends.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My favorite Esoterica blends are Brighton and Kingsbridge far from the focus of these mad rushes that happen. Sadly though I think overall less of it is ordered because of the desire for the big 3 takes precedence so it's still hard to come by; really is a bummer. I've got enough semois to last me 5 years at least; really thought that'd be harder to acquire. Take care fellas.

Dec 24, 2012
The reason for the Gawith shortage is different. They had a massive flood in Kendall in 2010 that destroyed much of their inventory and left the factory in mothballs for quite some time.
I like many of the Esoterica blends and think they are very fine tobaccos. Truth be told though, I have never found it all that hard to obtain. A little legwork perhaps, but that's it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The reason for the Gawith shortage is different. They had a massive flood in Kendall in 2010 that destroyed much of their inventory and left the factory in mothballs for quite some time.
So that explains why FVF is such a damp tobacco. :mrgreen:
Seriously, that's news to me. Thanks for sharing that.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
There's some truth in what the OP says, but Penzance is an amazing tobacco if you like Lat blends. I wouldn't cry if I never smoked Stonehaven again, but it's another unique and wonderful tobacco that I really enjoy. OK, maybe I would cry a little.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Part of the problem with Esoterica is that Germain makes a lot of tobaccos for other companies, like the new Balkan Sobranie, the Smoker's Haven blends, Esoterica, along with their own blends. They may never be able to catch up.
Russ

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
A "grass is always greener.." mentality among buyers is what drives any economy. I want this industry to survive, so I don't mind having to find a new favorite tobacco every now and then, because I always do. The same thing happens in the world of cigars but on a much bigger, faster scale.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I like Esoterica stuff too. Penzance is one I will pick up if I run across it. Stonehaven is good but it doesn't do it for me to the point I need to go on a crusade to obtain it.
It is crazy because I remember years ago when I was early in to my pipe smoking, the B&M's had stacks of the stuff along with Pelican, Old Ironsides, and other blends I like that seem impossible to find anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.