PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I can buy this 1900, + or - 10 years, Meer and get a new stem made. The total cost would be $75. Maybe get the Ozone treatment too. Would a 100yr old meer smoke better than a new one? It would be an experience. Would you do it?
svsl7hzl.jpg

:crazy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't like the look of that pipe. It doesn't seem to have colored very well.

It doesn't seem to have been smoked too much during its 100 yrs., otherwise it would be fully colored by now.

This leads to either of two conclusions: it doesn't smoke very well, and sat in the rack a lot; or, it is pressed meerschaum

and it won't color like block meerschaum. I think I would put that $75 + together with more cash and get a new pipe.

How can any used meerschaum deliver the pristine, clear smoking experience better than a new one?

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I was concerned about the lack of color also. There is a lot of cake that indicates much smoking. So, it may be a block meerschaum. I am not sure if they made block meer in the 1890s. Anyone know about that?

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
I think that you should snap that up if your description is accurate.

Block meerschaum means it came out of the ground as a chuck - not scraps pressed (glued) into a usable stummel.

If it is really more than a hundred years old, doesn't that mean that the stem is amber?

If it is, and the only problem is its attachment, then I sure would not have a new stem made, but just cut a new thread in it and make a new connector. There are people who can do that.

If the button end of the stem is damaged, then it is a less attractive idea.

anthony

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Correction: I meant to say it could be pressed meerschaum since it was not colored more. :oops:
Yes it is amber,I think. The button was chewed off which shortened it 1 ". A replacement would be lucite. The metal work looks to be brass. I was hoping that it would be gold or silver, oh well.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
My experience with buying old meers is that they were more abused than used and very hard to get "clean"; so like the others said: it will probably smoke poorly compared to a new meer. But it does look really cool.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
a lot of cake that indicates much smoking
That may explain the lack of usual coloration.

It also indicates that the pipe was not cared for, since a cake should not be allowed to build up in a meer.

If you like "old-timey" stuff it might be worth a shot -- like Roth said, from a collector's point of view.

If you're expecting to make that pipe sing again, I'd think long and hard about throwin' good money after bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.