PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
Just wondering if alcohol causes/facilitates tongue bite, and if so, all sorts of alcoholic drink or just some of them?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you become intoxicated and start smoking too fast, I would think so. I don't see why the alcoholic beverage itself would have an effect one way or the other. If your tongue was already a bit tender from smoking and you were drinking straight bourbon, you'd probably feel some stinging sensation the same as you would if you rinse with an alcohol bard mouthwash after a day of heavy smoking.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
If I drink hard liquor, my mouth knows it the next day. It did not when I did not smoke. Don't know if it is more tongue bite or a combination of things, though.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
This is by no means an objective or scientific response, but if I smoke tobacco that does not otherwise bite, and then I take a sip of beer right after a few puffs, it makes my tongue smart right proper! I haven’t experienced the same with any liquors, but beer (especially IPA’s) and pipes don’t seem to go together for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Almost any beverage moistens your mouth and cools and smooths the smoke. My experiences with tongue bite and mouth burn seemed to arise with heavy handed aromatics, like holiday blends with cinnamon and similar flavorings. Strong blends and non-aromatics seemed to give little or no problem at all, for me. Slow sipping also helps. Incidentally, ice water is always fine with a pipe ... or that's my take.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Doesn't cause tongue bit, but can aggravate it. Both alcohol and tobacco are mild irritants to the body, and alcohol is also a desiccant*. But, with time and a touch of technique, no problem.
*not quite the right word for something that dehydrates the body, but you understand.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
While we're on this subject, I got away from drinking for the most part but really enjoy a heavy stout once in a great while.
Please recommend a good blend to pair with a Guiness Extra Stout. Thanks.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Have no experience with this, since I do most of my smoking behind the wheel, but I wonder... isn't hard liquour the ideal pairing for cigars?

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Alcohol is besides smoke also an irritant, so I would say it can definitly make it worse, but I never had bad experiences myself

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
@mtwaller
... if I smoke tobacco that does not otherwise bite, and then I take a sip of beer right after a few puffs, it makes my tongue smart right proper!
I experience the same thing. I think it's caused by the carbonation in the beer because I sometimes get the same tingling if I drink a soda while smoking.
... I haven’t experienced the same with any liquors ...
Again, same with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.