PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
I find that picks are indispensable tools for me to stir the tamped ashes and empty my bowl. I had three thin and small screwdrivers, and use them mostly. But in some very old threads, I saw some people said they don't use picks.
So how do people not using picks, empty their pipes? I just wondered. Do they only use ashtrays with corks?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
The venerable Czech Tool, costing under $3 and consisting of a spoon, tamper and pick does the job quite nicely. There are a number of upscale versions, but they don't top the Czech Tool for effectiveness. The Pipe Nail costs around a buck, and while it lacks a pick, it's still quite effective. Also, by the time I complete my smoke, all I've got in the pipe is a lot of loose ash, which tends to empty rather easily, largely because I don't empty my pipe while I'm smoking it--I just tamp very lightly, letting the ash form an insulating layer, protecting the cherry as I smoke the pipe down.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks Eric. I find that, when my bowl finishes, my remaining ashes aren't that loose. Maybe I tamp too hard, although I try to tamp very lightly.
I don't like the Czech tool and similar. I don't use the spoon or reamer, so I only use a diy tamper and a thin screwdriver as a pick.
So, I understand you don't need to use a pick when your bowl is finished. Then the problem might be I'm tamping a little hard.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tapping on the heel of my hand, or foot. If dottle remains, I have either a pipe tool, pipe nail, actual nail, Czech tool somewhere close. My pipe tool has a pick, handy if something really gets stuck in the airway.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
OK, Gord, it could be a tamping issue. Do you find yourself with a significant amount of dottle? If so, perhaps packing the tobacco a bit looser might help. Also, your tobacco may be a bit too moist, so letting it dry for fifteen minutes or so , and then picking it up and letting it gravity feed into the pipe may help. Also, the Frank packing method, while it does take a few tries to learn, may help.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks Eric. No, I don't usually have dottle. All my tobacco burns, but the remaining ashes require a little stir to get them pouring into the ashtray.
Edit: Sometimes I just tap the bowl, and it works. But I find that still a little ash reamins in the chamber. So I use the pick.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I use a Bamboo pick with a perforated tamper on the other end so I don't snuff the fire as I tamp. Since most of my tobaccos burn down the center I use the pick to scrape the unburnt flakes back to the middle.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=121008

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I use the cheap but effective Czech tool like many, got a pipe nail stuck in my hat so it is always available to me when the tool is not nearby

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I have a Czech tool with a pick on it, but I've never used it. I don't like the small diameter of the Czech tool's tamper, so it stays in the drawer in favor of my trusty pipe nail. The spade end of the pipe nail is all I need to clear the ash out of my pipe when I'm finished.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Everyone knows real pipesmokers smoke all the way down to the draught hole so they have no need for a pick to empty the pipe. The only reason is to stir the last dregs to get a homogenous mix of tar-laden sludge and ash for the luscious flavor it gives ;)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mr. Bugg-
I know you are a real pipe smoker, some 40 years IIRC. And you never smoke past 2/3 of a bowl as you're afraid of the stronger taste and goodness down there. Kinda a limp-wristed approach, then, no? Not that there's anything wrong with that!

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
I actually smoke all the way down. I don't usually have dottle. But without the dottle, my ashes seem to be stuck in the chamber. It may be about my tobacco.

May 4, 2015
Darn, I thought that this was going to be a pick verses finger style thread
I always play with a pick. Most of the time, I'm playing bluegrass-style Irish music with alternating bass. I play aggressively at pretty high speed, so I couldn't pull off just using fingers. Need the attack of a hard pick.
Or I could try hiring a bass player again.... *shudder*

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My absolute favorites for design and function are the pipe nail and horseshoe nail, with a tamper on one end and a scoop/pick on the other. These cost little and do the job just fine. It's all I need in most cases, to tamp, loosen tobacco that has been tamped too much, and finally scoop everything out of the pipe after smoking. The bareness of design is inspiring. However, like most pipe smokers, I have a vulnerability for accessories, so I also have several Czech tools, one of them inherited from my grandfather and probably over a century old, and a splendid little folding pipe tool in stainless steel that I bought at a pipe show with fold-out pick and scoop. It has heft and is fun to use. But on a daily basis, I marvel at the pipe nail, it's perfection in form and function. A very different pipe smoker, a Dunhill man with an expansive collection, foggymountain, shares my admiration for the pipe nail, just so you don't think this is a quirk of the "economy minded" (cheap).

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
And you never smoke past 2/3 of a bowl as you're afraid of the stronger taste and goodness down there. Kinda a limp-wristed approach, then, no?
Yeah my wrists are somewhat limper than guys who smoke to the heel. OTOH my knuckles don't drag on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.