PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
You know how it gets nasty after you clean a pipe do you just keep using it tell it gets black or throw it out and get new after every cleaning

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I put it in a seperate bottle and let my friends do shots with it when they come over. I just tell them it's Latakia Tequila.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I don't reuse the alcohol, because the methods I employ don't permit it.

However; since I use Ezra Brooks... I do drink the leftovers. :)

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
After the alcohol gets used a few times, I strain through an old cotton t-shirt to get a lot of the muck out. I then re-use it, but only for initial cleans of estate pipes. Once most of the muck is off, I then redo the clean with new alcohol (but I don't need as much).

Don't forget, that the alcohol disolves the tar residue, so unclean alcohol will have that residue left in it, and will increase with the more cleaning you do.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I don't re-use it, I throw it out when I'm done.
In my mind it would be the equivalent of re-using the same water that you used to wash your dishes or clothes to wash another batch.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I don't reuse it, but share it. A little for the pipe, a little for the "pipe cleaner".

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
No, no, no....do not reuse....if you're going to be persnickety and compulsive about having clean pipes....go all the way each time you clean.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I pour 151 proof rum into a glass shot glass and proceed to sanitize and clean the pipe then throw out the rum.
That's just me. I really never thought of re-using the cleanng rum.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
Bob wrote, In my mind it would be the equivalent of re-using the same water that you used to wash your dishes or clothes to wash another batch.
Agreed. I use Remy Martin VSOP cognac simply because I like the flavor it gives, but from the sounds of things I should be using something stronger.
I assume that as long as you still get your pipes clean though it's just a matter of personal preference.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
Something we can all agree on. It's like washing your car with the same water for a year.

midniteryder

Lurker
Aug 3, 2009
I don't reuse it I get a fifth of everclear or grain alcohol and use fresh each time. I am goung to start to experiment with other spirits though whiskey, rum etc!!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I will use the same alcohol to clean as many new-to-me estates as I can manage to scrub in a single sitting. After that the alcohol goes down the drain.
On a related note, I recommend not drinking alcohol while cleaning with alcohol. I once took a drink from the wrong glass while cleaning out some "fresh" estates.

Status
Not open for further replies.