PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I hate the idea of wasting tobacco. Do you mix a good tobacco with a nasty tobacco so you don't waste the nasty tobacco? If so, do you mix like kinds? Like a better Burley with a nasty Burley? Or an aromatic with a Burley? Or a better cherry with a not that great cherry? I don't want to mix flavors, well ... maybe a nutty with a vanilla or a cherry with a vanilla or chocolate might go okay together?

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I mix all the time, primarily with leftovers though. I've had some great results using Sugar Barrel as a blender, and I've relegated the world renowned Carter Hall to a similar role.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I do alot of my own "Blending" If I have a baccy that is a bit overly topped or cased I like to blend with Carter Hall. I blend alot of my baccys with CH and have great results. just mix a small amount first( enough for a bowl or two) before you blend a large amount. CH makes a great blending baccy and its great all alone also.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I have Carter Hall :)I'm going to have to try that.

Is Sugar Barrel a tobacco that's available in a lot of places? Is it as it sounds - sweet?

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Sugar Barrel is available, from what I've seen, on most sites that have Carter Hall as it's an old school blend. It's more sweet than CH, but not over the top IMO. (Despite the name.) It leaves a burnt sugary smell in the pipe afterwards, neat stuff. I like it blended with 1Q...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've played around with this blending my own, from small amounts left, and from regular tins and

bulk, to see what I can do. However, I really don't use nasty tobacco. If something is full of bite,

totally bland, doesn't burn well, etc., I just let it go to compost. I don't expect to improve it or

stretch something better by recycling it as pipe tobacco. It's more to pep up something that is

already pleasant, or give a little complexity to something that is unblended. I will always do this

occasionally, I suspect, but it has given me real respect for the pros who perfect blends. Even some

of the OTC blends are masterful for what they are, and the well-loved superior blends we all name

over and over with admiration are works of art, a little like great recipes from master chefs.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
oh man! I have more tobacco to add to my Must Try list.

I definitely want to try Sugar Barrel.
And 5 brothers with butternut burley.I went to Tobacco Reviews. Do you mix these because the Butternut Burley mellows the 5 brothers a little?
And Prince Albert. Is the walnut any walnut or is there one specific? Or is there only one? I'm still pretty new to this. I have 1Q in the form of Seville, which seems like it would make for a good blending tobacco to mellow out even Velvet. Although, I duuno if anything can dress up that tobacco. I mean no disrespect to anyone that enjoys Velvet tobacco. I just don't like it. Hubby enjoys port wine. To me it tastes like cough syrup. I don't dis him because of his tastes. After all, he married me ;)

Carter Hall seems to be a go to tobacco for a lot of different things. I think I need to get some more :)

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Is Sugar Barrel a tobacco that's available in a lot of places? Is it as it sounds - sweet?
For me I get a light oatmeal cookie taste. Awesome stuff!
One tub CH, 1/2 tub Walnut, 1/4 tub Sugar Barrell, 1/4 tub Prince Albert. Equals 28oz of a great smoke!. Lasts about 2-3 months.
The Man!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I mix quite a bit. Not so much to save scrapings, but more so to stretch out expensive blends and create new ones. Like I'll mix Carter Hall with English and Balkan blends. One of my favorites is adding Drama Reserve to pump up the Oriental components of a blend. Another favorite is Pirate Kake / Penzance 50:50.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Sugar Barrel is available, from what I've seen, on most sites that have Carter Hall as it's an old school blend. It's more sweet than CH, but not over the top IMO. (Despite the name.) It leaves a burnt sugary smell in the pipe afterwards, neat stuff. I like it blended with 1Q...
Ooh - will have to remember this, as I've now discovered that I've been smoking 1Q (relabeled by the local B&M) for months, and I've obtained a sample of Sugar Barrel...

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
For me I get a light oatmeal cookie taste. Awesome stuff!

I'm definitely gonna have to get some Sugar Barrel :)

Or, do I have it in the form of Seville which may be the same as 1Q? Or, am I as confused as I think I am?

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I mix quite a bit. Not so much to save scrapings, but more so to stretch out expensive blends and create new ones. Like I'll mix Carter Hall with English and Balkan blends. One of my favorites is adding Drama Reserve to pump up the Oriental components of a blend. Another favorite is Pirate Kake / Penzance 50:50.

This is good to know. I have an English blend that I like. I don't have a lot of it. I'm tabling it because there are some burleys that I want to know and get a handle on first. Like moving through a wine list. I want to get to know the different types and then know what I like before I move on to a different group. I'm not a wine snob but I do like the ability to walk into the store and know what I want.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I don't mix. :) I'm also at the stage of my pipesmoking career where I rarely buy a blend that I find unsmokable. I have pitched stuff, long ago.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I don't mix. [:)] I'm also at the stage of my pipesmoking career where I rarely buy a blend that I find unsmokable. I have pitched stuff, long ago.

Someday I hope to be where you are now. Knowing what I like and liking what I know :)

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
The only mixing I do is blending about 1/4 or 1/2 aromatic with a straight Va. I like the aromatic qualities of aromatic tobacco but rarely like the body and flavour of aromatics. So I blend just a bit into a good quality Va and enjoy.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Misu, Walnut is an "American English" and, AFAIK, the only OTC American English blend. It's named "Walnut" because the original blender (also the original Middleton) first made it in the 1800's and sold in in his shop in Philadelphia. There is a drawing of him, standing in front of his shop, on the Walnut tubs.

Kinda makes me want to go to Philly. Until then, I'll look for it online and at B&Ms.

Status
Not open for further replies.