Do You Like smokingpipes.com New Website's Design?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pipebuddy

There, I asked the question. I'm not sure myself if I like it, yet?

Who moved the cheese? Ha ha, meaning, I just figured out the rat maze, and now it's all different.
Seriously, I tried to use the search feature to test out how specific I could get, and it seems to be quirky. Maybe they haven't entered tags for each of the pipes yet or something. And, as far as using the "pipe finder" I don't have time for that. If a pipe comes up in a Google search and it leads me to one on their site, I would consider buying it. But, I am not going to waste valuable time away from this forum on using a questionnaire style pipe finder.
Other than that, mmmmm, who cares? The old one was good, the new one is different. Just different. It's how companies try to fool us into believing things are getting better.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Similar look and feel. No big difference from my perspective. I like Smoking Pipes and their site is O.K. by me.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
No. The page layout is really poorly designed. The scale is way too large in margins, borders and text adding a lot of visual clutter. I like the idea of no sidebars on the main page, but they aren't consistent with this when viewing pipes within a brand. Why do I need to see every brand offered when I'm looking at the brand I want? Again, there's too much clutter when viewing a pipe listing. What I would like is higher rez photos, a larger image or simple way to magnify a photo but with the statistic sidebar and the larger font the photos seem more compressed even though the files are the same size.
Overall, there's too much competing for your attention visually and the net effect is adding stress and eye strain (no joke) to what was once a relaxing process.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I thought the previous version was much cleaner and utilitarian. The new version is cluttered and not as intuitive. If it was put to a vote, I'd go back to the original.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Agreed.
Edit: Additionally, I would love to see them implement a more rounded search algorithm based on simpler, refined tags (#tan, #cumberland, #1/2 bent). Would also help them more clearly identify similar pipes in the suggestion bar, in which I do see value.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I know they had big issues last night but I just looked at it and had no problems getting around. Like anything else we'll get accustomed to it.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Being a designer and GUI person - the usability is missing. They removed things like "new pipes" and "all tobacco tins" from the menu systems and replaced it with recently or hot items. It may look a little more "fresh" but its suffering in usability that's my main issue.
Edit scratch that - they didn't remove them, they are still there. Just... didn't stand out to me for some reason.
I do like the pipe finder option.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Not a fan of bells and whistles. I think that web design has gone off the deep end. Annoying elements like the roll overs should be illegal.

No customer ever would say that having half the page covered with an annoying picture when you drag your mouse across the page makes the shopping any easier. It would be like a giant sheet falling over a whole display as you walk by in a store.
Webdesigners usually have no clue what a customer would want. They just like to add things that bolster their ego on how tech savvy they think they are.

I'm not even sure why they changed the site. I had just started to go to their site, because I was finding it easier to use than P&C's site. :::sigh::: ...now back to P&C.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Overall, there's too much competing for your attention visually and the net effect is adding stress and eye strain (no joke) to what was once a relaxing process.
I agree. Serious usability problems but the site is hipper/fresher. I like SPC, but this and their support for Reddit makes me doubt them.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
NO!!! Estate pipe section is AFU, much more difficult to use. The old interface, for the entire site, was better looking, and easier to use.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for the warning folks. Although I have been to the site recently, apparently not recently enough, or maybe I'm just so preoccupied I didn't notice (?). All new sites are a little disturbing to me, not being terribly technically adept, but it sounds like this one needs a lot of re-working. I thought the "recent" version was good, but even it had been updated not long ago. Maybe they're trying too hard?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Dear Bradley,
Your feedback is very important to us and is greatly appreciated. Your message will be shared with our redesign team and we are continuing to make improvements.
Thank you and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Sincerely,

Kaye
Customer Service

Smokingpipes.com

1-888-366-0345
On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Bradley Simon wrote:

You're screwing up, pipe smokers especially older, BUYERS, liked your clean easy to navigate site, now, not at all, go with the flow , you're gonna stop the flow. SHEESH! Bradley Simon
Sent from my iPad

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, I've made my initial visit, and I'm trying to factor out my not being technologically blessed. I do find the new format opaque. The previous two versions lay the menu out at the top and you pretty much went where you pleased right away. It seemed user friendly right at the door. This version, I feel I'm being marched through information I don't want before I get to even making the choice of what I want to see. I may get all this on automatic pilot and get right to it, after a while, but I feel like it slows me down. smokingpipes has made an excellent reputation on customer relations, so I hope they will heed tbrad and the rest of us and tweak this new page for smoother use. I'm glad I didn't walk into this one unwarned; thanks folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.