PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I never smoked clay pipes till I found these ones on www.fajkowo.pl at cheap price:
m4QvNkP.jpg

I like this shape and it is a good smoker, but,notwithstanding the bowl size, the chamber is rather small.

The second one is an old style 15 in. long pipe. Good smoker, but not easy to keep in hand.
Bj3skLr.jpg

The last is very cheap, around 2 dollars, and easy smoker.
AdKAaMQ.jpg

Since I don't like the clay taste and it is not easy to keep it in mouth, I adjusted a stem for it
WT2qt8l.jpg

The clay pipes are neutral and absorb humidity. Good for fresh and not demanding smoking.

They can last long time ( if they don't fall down!) and they don't need care.

Not every day, but I like to smoke them.

I have a clay pipe, and I know that the bowl is the traditional size, small. But, I have wondered if I had one with a larger bowl, would I enjoy it more and possibly the pipe would smoke cooler. My wide briars smoke much cooler than my narrow ones, so...
Also, I know that they've been done before, because I see them on Ebay, rarely, but they're out there, clay pipes with vulcanite stems. I just don't want to grind my teeth down by trying to clench the clay stem or by even resting it in my teeth.
I've also been kicking around the idea of a Native American style peacepipe made with modern pipemaking materials. How cool would that be?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard there are health hazards smoking just a clay stem, but most of your pipes seem to have vulcanite or similar stems. I have a 14" clay pipe hand carried by a family member on a plane from Holland, and it's fun for the occasional smoke. I am so accustomed to briar that nothing else is quite as satisfying, but that is partly habit. Clay pipes are classic.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I like the look of the old tavern clay pipes... but truth be told Ive never smoked out of one.

I do know that they are very fragile and I'm not exactly known for being the most gentile with my pipes as I tend to smoke when I'm working and because of that I tend to clench almost always, so even when I do relax with some whiskey or a book (or both) I'm clenching and puffing away quite aggressively.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've never tried one. I've heard they're good for blend tasting because they don't impart any flavor. I believe Mary McNeill uses them to taste test blends for McClelland.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I only have one. I don't much care for it. Brittle, gets flaming, dangerously hot, just not much fun. Cute though.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I've also been kicking around the idea of a Native American style peacepipe made with modern pipemaking materials. How cool would that be?
Same here. I have a pipestone plains type with reed stem that sees an occasional fire in the bowl & a ceremonial wall hanger. Cosmic, if you have any ideas or have found a carver doing something similar that you like send me a PM. There is a carver I like up on the edge of the Lakota reservation but he is hard to get in touch with (no phone). He carves briar too but as far as I know only reed stems. I have something in mind with maybe a spigot or military mount & better stem.

Mar 1, 2014
I bought three 18" clays, I broke the last one a few months ago just shuffling things around in a box.
I might have enjoyed a smaller one but the 18" stem is just so appealing I couldn't help myself. At this point I've pretty much given up, Cobs are just about everything I could want, far more practical (clay does get very hot).

My next experiment will probably be a Falcon.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have only one, and I like it very much. Mostly because you can smoke anything in it and it won't ghost, it takes just 10 seconds for me to clean and put it back. Great for tobacco tasting.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
They smoke great, provided the airway is good, and I enjoy the novelty factor, but I usually miss the comfortable stems on my other pipes.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I have two. I wrap the stems with straps of leather. I think I might be wrapping the bowl of one too because it has a crack.

Aug 14, 2012
We used to smoke clays that looked like your second picture. They cost 25 cents back in the 50s. Problem was, it takes a long breakin period before they taste good, and by then they were usually broken. Every time you put one down on a table carelessly a piece breaks off. Soon the churchwarden is a nosewarmer.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
I had one nice old clay. Sort of calabash shaped but much more compact. Tatsed like chalk, burnt hot as magma then broke into several bits when I gently put tension on the stem..
felt like a right noob as it was unused and 100 years old lol..
Never mind, I have a sack of plaster of paris and wall plaster which will probably taste better and last longer if I could make anything other than penis shapes for laughs.
They stick to your lips too, unless they are painted!
Are they even baked? or are they just formed and dried?

Status
Not open for further replies.