PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I couldn't resist. Okay, what I'm actually wondering is do you have one or more smaller capacity, smaller sized briar pipes that you use fairly often? I just got from eBay a cheap Dublin second from an unnamed Italian maker that's shorter in height than my Huck Finn Cob and just a tad shorter in length (it's Billiard length). It's a small bowled pipe, and I wouldn't want one smaller, but it's very portable and gives a short smoke. I'm enjoying it, despite the misdrilled airway. (It also had a stinger but I pulled it out.)

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Willard military pocket pipe.
s2HzZ6rl.jpg

1919 Loewe&Co.
gkCDMNtl.jpg

Py9iQ4Gl.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have this long stemmed, small bowl LHS Stanhope that I like a lot just for short smokes.
lhsstanhope_zps7df3f95a.jpg

I also have a Kaywoodie Colt and some other short snorters like this one piece ebony thing, but the Stanhope is preferred.
ebony%20pipe_zps7d0n0ikr.jpg

jmui

Might Stick Around
May 5, 2015
I bought these 3 WDC pipes off eBay that are really small. They are about the size of that willard. Haven't smoked them yet, but I think I will get good use from them when I want quick smokes on the go.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
I love smoking curly-cut blends in those pipes with smaller bowls, including a French pipe, a Stanwell, a Dunhill, and my two Falcon pipes.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I have a nice little pre-republic Peterson that I smoke regularly with stout / strong flakes and plugs. It's a great little billiard from the 1940's. It's about a 1 inch deep chamber, probably .70 diameter and fits 1 flake of most blends perfectly.
30-40 minute smoke with an unrubbed flake or sliced plug. Great old briar that smokes extremely sweetly.
One of my favorite pipes, and it was gifted to me by a forum member on another forum that I frequent.

These are some of my Savinelli Piumas. I have 8 now, but these original three are the most used. They have a .55-.6" wide chamber, and I get about an hour or so out of each. If I want a short smoke, I go for a .8 x 1" pipe and fill a little above half way to get 30 minutes out of. These Piumas I use for savoring straight Virginias slowly. Ultra lightweight, and excellent clenchers for running errands.

But, really if I wanted a short smoke, I would just lay a pipe down and come back to it latter, and if I am really hurried, I will just skip the smoke, because I tend to puff when anxious, and that is not even really smoking to me, just burning (wasting) tobacco, IMO. I don't get anything positive out of it.

piumas.jpg

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a couple of Chacom Cuttys, and 3 Stanwell featherweights, a BC mini Canadian from the 60's, a Grabow Commodore, a Pete Tankard, Yello Bole Pug. They all are 1-2 bowl size pipes. I have a fondness for smaller bowl as I now mostly smoke Virginia and VaPer flakes. I have bigger pipes but I tend to reach for the small bowls it seems.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
This is probably my smallest. I think someone said it's an old American factory's take on the Peterson system style. Clearly there's no well since it's so small.
antique-pipe-stuff-012-640x479-600x449.jpg

I also have a few mini cobs and a Peterson Calabash that's pretty small as well, talking a 15 minute bowl.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I've got a small Mario Grandi pipe that is a great little smoker:
SnXOPKW.png

My favorite time to smoke this is when I'm working in my wood shop. It's so light that it literally will hang from my lips...no clenching necessary.
These little pipes are also nice when you want a quick 30 to 45 minute smoke.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
This is the smallest pipe I have that I actullay smoke out of. Its a Walker Briar Works Nose Warmer. Which is a modified Missouri Meerschaum Washington.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Cosmic - Just playing around
Sampling a few different BBcode options
Here's a link that shows how to do it
Here's another link to some color codes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My pipes run the gambit on size, and I have some small ones, thanks to the recommendation of fishnbanjo. Previously I thought small pipes were souvenirs and toys. They're great for samples, short smokes, longer smokes with flake, plug, or some loose tobaccos. My smallest pipes include a Peterson Belgique Rustiqe (Group 1), an Ewa churchwarden, and a Old Dominion Chesapeake cob -- if that's the small one, I'm always confusing it with the Laughing Chief. Anyway, small pipes, yes. (Medium and XL/KS pipes, yes again and again.)

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have this 1976 Grp 2 Dunhill that is great with flakes, etc. I had this pic on my album here. It is like 4.65" and just a petite lil thing.
dunhill-grp-2.jpg

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Here is two of my small Ligne Bretagne's next to their big brother. Hard to tell from the photo but they both have fairly small bowls. I use the straight for Burley and Kentucky blends and the bent for strong English blends and rope. I definitely enjoy my small pipes, after all it's not the size but how you smoke it.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
I'm actually quite partial to small pipes, so none of mine are very large, but the smallest of them are these:
Small.JPG

from top to bottom:

Cobit dwarf

Savinelli King's Cross Featherweight

A no name basket pipe

A no name French pipe
I have little love for the basket pipe (and not just because it's a basket pipe)--but it travels well, but the other three suit my tastes perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.