Do You Have a Preference As To Buying Flake In Bulk Or Tins?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I want to buy some more flake tobacco, specifically ODF and maybe a few others. I know that you can get ODF in the 1.75 oz tins as well as a 1 pound box. Which do you prefer to buy and why?
I don't mind jarring it if I get it in the 1 pound box and it's cheaper to buy the 1 pound box versus enough 1.75 oz tins to equate about the same, but are there any pros and cons, other than price, between these two options?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Every blend is different, and opinions differ. Some swear the bulk of one flake is better and vice versa, but not all agree. My advice, buy a box and a tin and open them both to jar them, smoke a bowl or two, see if there is any difference to you. If not, base the decision on the best price.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It also depends on how much you smoke, how fast. For those who smoke many bowls a day, the savings on bulk could become important over time. For the one or two bowl smokers, with days off for good behavior, you could almost flip a coin for the money you'd save. Though I admit, being a moderate smoker, I still like the savings on bulk, and I don't notice any difference.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Cosmic, there is some debate to the "most" aspect as it tends to vary between manufacturer on this, at least in a lot of opinions. But, that is not the point. Do you think this holds true for flake? Like, do they put the edge flakes which didn't cut perfectly in the bulk? As far as the 1 or 1.5 pound boxes, I've always seen nearly perfect flakes all aligned in them, but I am curious if that is the common opinion? Or your opinion? I don't know as if I am honest, most of my flake is bought in a tin.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any of my flakes where I had the option to choose at the time of purchase (except ODF). All I know is, I'm getting weary of jarring and frankly getting a little defiant with conventional wisdom on the board in using small jars vs larger. Last night I jammed about 200 grams of FVF into a pint jar and will probably just leave it as is. Just stuck them in there full length.
So, to answer your question, tins if I can so I don't have to bother with jars. But really, I don't worry about it one way or the other and these days, just getting our hands on what we want, (whatever the form) is an accomplishment sometimes.

Do you think this holds true for flake? Like, do they put the edge flakes which didn't cut perfectly in the bulk? As far as the 1 or 1.5 pound boxes,

It's definitely not my opinion, as I could care less. Brian was reporting as someone who has worked for most of the companies, and was, at the time working for MacBaren/Sutliff. The thought had never crossed my mind until I heard that episode.
I'm not sure if the "cut" would be as much a factor. Maybe. I did notice in my last few tins of Samuel Gawith Flakes that they all seemed to be poorly cut. But, most companies that sell bulk flakes will sell the entire block, which usually look pretty good. ...except for some companies like C&D which seems to have issues even making a flake.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I was curious about your opinion on flake specifically, Cosmic, as the OP asked, Cosmic, not trying to project that episode onto you. I know you went through a lot of flake and may have had more experience buying bulk than I have. I am wondering if Brian's statements apply to flake as much as ribbon.

My opinion is that flakes provide such diverse smoking experience... with different preps giving different tasting smokes, and they hold more moisture, so they have more of a range of dryness, and they are most affected by age; that I believe any differences in quality of flakes are moot. They will provide very diverse smokes, regardless.
Plus, there was the issue I mentioned of SG flakes in the tins seeming to be of lesser quality cuts lately, and that most companies that sell blocks of flakes, seem to all look great... except C&D... or any company that sells a bag of crappy flakes, verses the nice block. :puffy:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I have been pleased with the way I stocked my cellar. I made a list and focused on specific blends and went deep instead of wide. That said, if I had to do it over, I would focus more on tins than bulk. It is just hard to store heavy Mason jars. Yet, it is often easier to stock up on bulk flakes vs the tins, so we all do it.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I thought I bought it bulk by the ounce in the past from P&C. Guess they stopped it.
But maybe they do? https://www.cupojoes.com/mac-baren-hh-old-dark-fired-sold-by-oz/
Buy what you want & test it.

I like it.

It is your taste buds.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I like bulk because of the cost savings. I do not mind jarring tobacco at this point in my pipe career. I also do not have the size cellar some of you have. So while more of a pain to move than tins I have not reached the point where ease of movement is a significant factor, yet. I do not notice any taste difference between bulk and tin. My palate is not very refined I fear. So for me, if available, bulk is the way to go.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have more bulk than tins. I got lazy and used a lot of quart jars, so I will have to smoke it quick when I open them. ha ha.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
For most tinned stuff there are bulk alternatives which are cheaper and at the end of the day when you open the tin you transfer it into the jar anyway. So you are paying excess just for the tin packaging basically.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If it's in bulk and tin I'll usually buy a tin for when I'm on the go and then buy the bulk to stock the cellar with. It's not too space consuming. Just fit about 4oz in a 1/2 pint jar. That way when you open it you can get through it in about a month or so depending on how often you smoke.
I think if you're buying the bulk from a B&M you run the risk of it being more dried out and losing some flavor, but if you buy from SmokingPipes, Pipes&Cigars, TobaccoPipes, 4Noggins they turn over so much product that the moisture level should be on the wetter side which retains the oils and flavors.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Just bought my first pound a few weeks ago. ODF flake in the 1 lb. box. One of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen!
Jarred it in a couple of pint jars. One went into the deep cellar, other left out for consumption. Going fast.
I did consider buying the ready rubbed ODF in bulk but was unsure about how much air it’s exposed to during storage and handling etc. Tobacco OCD in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.