Do You Buy Home-Country Pipes Especially?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Part of the pleasure of having too many tobacco pipes is owning pipes from many nations. I just bought my first Dutch pipe after shopping for one for years. I own the usual array -- English, Italian, French, Danish, Irish, Greek. What am I forgetting? But I do really appreciate and enjoy buying pipes from my home place, the U.S., both from my go-to carver who does both briar and Mountain Laurel pipes (and doesn't sell online) and from the various surviving factory pipe makers like Dr. Grabow, Kaywoodie, Yello-Bole, Missouri Meerschaum, Old Dominion. I like U.S. factory pipes both for their down-home sturdiness and their reasonable prices, not to mention their rich history. Do you feel a little tug toward pipes of your home country? I'd miss the international aspect of owning pipes, but I do feel a pull, and feel impelled to lift the fortunes of the not always robust domestic market for domestic pipes. The U.S. pipe industry feels more fragile than those in Italy, France and Denmark, it seems to me.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I don't shop for US-made pipes specifically, but I have given Dr. Grabow and Missouri Meerschaum a lot of business over the years!

Mar 1, 2014
The closest I can come to that is that as a member of the Commonwealth I have specifically been attracted to British carvers.

Michael Parks is a little out of my league.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I enjoy getting a pipe in the country in which it's made. So far, not a lot in my rack besides U.S., England, and Canada. I will be in France soon, and will find something or other there. Any tips on Paris pipe shops? J'ai besoin! (which spellchukker just changed to "bison"!) Yes, have some Scandinavians and many Italians, but not purchased in those countries.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
I am in a bit of a rut with home-town pipes. I'm slowly accumulating Blatter & Blatters. They're located in my old home town of Montreal. I'm half way to a rotation...
032-600x450.jpg

0291-600x450.jpg

071-600x450.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bruce Weaver and Missouri Meerschaum are the only U.S. pipes I go after. More a sucker for Danes here.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Fearsclave, if 7 pipes is the definition of a rotation, which of the Blatter & Blatters pipes to you only have half of?

I have yet to find a Lithuanian pipe...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I get back to Montreal, a Blatter and Blatter would be the Canadian-made pipe to have.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
USA., Ireland, France, Canada, Italy, England, Turkey, Germany, Denmark, Africa, and Croatia. The bulk of my collection is USA and Ireland sourced.

roderick

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Although not initially intentional, I have stayed close to home with my pipe purchases. Of my 25 pipes 17 are from Canada. 7 John Calich, 4 Blatter, 3 Brigham, and 3 Trypis.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I was completely ignorant to Blatter and Blatter up until this point. Bad Canadian! Bad!
For a while I thought that I should own a Brigham just to support a Canadian pipe maker -- learning that they are actually made in Italy kind of extinguished that basal need. When I first started smoking pipes I lived in Toronto and came across daftlilly aka Gio of Gio Pipes and really wanted to obtain one of his one day but he seems to have disappeared. And of course, I'd love to own a Michael Parks one day.
I'd also love to own a Chris Asteriou pipe one day as he is a fellow architect. I guess I have my allegiances. It certainly doesn't stop me from being a patron of non-canucks. I'm in talks with Ryan Alden over a second commissioned pipe and couldn't be happier about it.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
First generation born in the US and a good bulk of my pipes come from Italy and with a purchase of one by Mimmo Provenzo, who hails from the region my family comes from, you could say I'm a home-county boy.

banjo

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Italy gets the bulk of my business and I have only seen pictures of that country.

Status
Not open for further replies.