Do pre-colored meerschaum pipes continue to color?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Do pre-colored meerschaum pipes continue to color, darken? I bought this one from Pipes and Cigars, and smoked about 10-15 bowls.
DSCF0472_zpscdatpilu.jpg.html

DSCF0471_zpsvm7w2zju.jpg.html

DSCF0470_zpsrhamycto.jpg.html

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Meer darkens from the inside out. It's the residues from the burning tobacco that does the coloring as they seep into the meerschaum. I've not smoked a pre-colored meer and am unfamiliar with the process. If the pipes are getting darker in the stem then the mineral is absorbing the residue.
Pre-colored African meer doesn't do as well as Turkish, I believe it is denser so, not so amenable to coloring. If yours are Turkish and the inside of the bowl is absorbent there is no reason why they should not darken.
Wax only helps to keep the meer from coloring on the outside through skin oils and dirt from handling. Wax protects and helps in uniform coloring. Uniformity being most dependent on the porosity of the mineral.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks guys, the information you both provided is very useful. It is Turkish thankfully. I've been removing much of the black residue from inside the bowl with Q-tips and Q-tip soaked in alcohol. Should I not being doing this?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Some wipe out the bowl with a paper towel or some such after each bowl so "cake" doesn't form. I clean my pipes each Sunday, briars, cobs and meers. I am careful not to let any cake form and gently scrape the inside of the meer bowl each cleaning. I do not scrape the meerschaum surface itself, it will be black from the tars and other residues of the tobacco.
If you are just starting with meers I'd suggest wiping the bowl every smoke or so. If you notice any cake starting to form remove only to the meer (If you start to see a lighter colored surface when you ream stop, you've gone a wee bit too far and any further will damage the bowl surface.) Cake will slow, maybe prevent, the absorption and the coloring process. Alcohol will remove the stuff you want for coloring. A quick wipe with a paper towel should keep the bowl clean and smooth to the touch. I'd stay away from the alcohol, can't say why, just would as it isn't needed.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Hard to say how much more color you'll get from that meer and it'll depend on how often you smoke it. It's very richly colored now judging from the pics and quite beautifully I might add. Condorlover1 is one member here who I believe smokes meers exclusivly and he may have a much more experienced opinion than my own since I've never really worked at smoking and coloring the one meerschaum that I own. You've got a very nice one there though, congrats on that grab.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate the compliments as well!

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
There was a member here named TopD who had many meers in different makes and variations. I asked him about these meers and it depends if the pipe is colored through and through, or just colored with certain wax. The ones colored with wax will act like a typical block meerschaum and most the color will even fade bc of the wax wearing off. I've also heard this from several people that seem to back that claim. Not sure which one is yours but both will color the in the same manner. It just might be harder to tell right away.
Here's a couple that was fully colored with wax you see on bottom half and you can see where the colored wax wore off.
68f87ba8c59b0628fb580b2ca48d437f.jpg

51cc4fb8579f1.jpeg

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
Here's one with the wax still on the top instead of the bottom.
[url='http://i.imgur.com/9sHMZ5C' t=_self]
9sHMZ5C.jpg'
[/url]

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks, friends.
AntBauerS, do you know how to identify which mine is? Could you point me in the right direction, or will I just have to wait and see if the wax fades? That would really suck by the way!
Maybe on Halloween, Sea Captain

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I'm not sure which of the two yours might be but I'm with flatticus that it's colored wax. I wouldn't worry about it fading, it's common to re-wax your meer every now and again, some chose not to because they like it. It's also possible that the wax will last. Pruss, a member here has one colored a similar shade as yours and from a couple recent pictures it doesn't seem to be fading. If ever you might want to re-wax there are many different techniques, they seem to work well and be straight forward. Though, I think yours will be fine and you won't have to worry about it. In the mean time I'd enjoy it how you please because it's a nice pipe. :)

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thank you both a ton. I'll just enjoy my pipe and worry about rewaxing if I ever find it fading which could a be a long time if I take care of it, like you guys said. Again, thank you both!

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I emailed Pipes and Cigars, and they replied: "That’s a stained finish with a clear wax on top. "

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fearing a whole new strain of PAD, I keep my distance from meers, but I'd say any pipe will darken with use, from absorbing tobacco smoke constituents and from external wear. Because of the finish added to give the color, pre-colored meers might change color more slowly, but they likely would. The ebony version might lighten slightly or gain patina, but I don't see how it could darken.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks, MSO. You're always very helpful. Not sure if it's psychological, but I believe I am noticing a slight change in color.

Status
Not open for further replies.