PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I think I must. At my local B&M I've scored the following in the last month: 8 oz Pembroke, 8 oz Stonehaven and 18 oz Penzance (2 bags, one tin). The Pembroke and Penzance were sitting on the shelf (and there's still more there now) and it took the proprietor all of 3 days to get my Stonehaven (maybe less, that's when I happened to drop by again).
I'm reading all the time that these blends are basically unobtainable. This may be a dumb question, but do y'all check in with your B&M's for hard-to-find blends? I can't believe Mike is the only proprietor who doesn't seem to have a problem getting this stuff...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I check with mine from time to time, but no luck. I've a few bags put aside, so I'll have it when I want it. As there are a number of other blends that I like as much, or more, than Penzanace or Stonehaven it isn't a big concern whether I find more or not.

I have no idea whether there are just times when the big tobacco boat is in dock or not, but there are times like these last few weeks when everything is easy to get, and then there are times like last month when the B&M can't seem to get anything I want in. I'm not the biggest esoterica fan, so I can only speak for a few other Virginia blends. When we hit times like this, I buy, buy, buy, because those dry stretches without my favorite flakes suck.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
B&Ms that don't have a Web presence still get Esoterica blends.
The hoarders are all focused on the Web sites, so many tobacconists do have it in stock, often unaware of how hard it is to get!

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I agree. The hard to find stuff is out there. You just have to hit up the B&M's that are the little guys that don't do the big volume online sales. We all love the P&C, SPC, 4Noggins, etc stores, but the competition is fierce for what little stock they actually get their hands on.

Dec 24, 2012
Nothing new here for me. I have a source in the US that I get a lot of my Esoterica stuff through. I just found it too hard to get at SP or 4noggins. The source is a bit more expensive than those guys, but I am ok with that.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Keep looking at the B&Ms - sometimes it is amazing what they have tucked away out of sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.