PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I have to admit that I have not been treating my pipes well. Typically they are stacked in a pile and I have been a little worried about the marks I might be adding to them. The problem is everytime I go to look at a pipe rack I walk away with tobacco instead. I have yet to find one used that is worth the shipping.
Yesterday I solved the problem. It is not that pretty but it did not cost me a penny. Most of the wood came as packing with a new dishwasher (which cost a lot of penny's) and some was left over from other projects. The kids craft draw provided some felt. The tins at the back are just lids and are there for decoration. It is not exactly pretty but I hope to treat my pipes a little better now that I have this. The hold is holding the place for a Rattrays six friends pipe that I need to go to the post office and pick up.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Nice job. I've been neglecting my pipes in a similar fashion and I've been wanting to craft something similar. I think you may have given the inspiration I needed!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Nicely done. It's just occured to me that I've never seen a ceramic or terra cotta pipe rack, and since I'm in desparate need of one, and am also taking a ceramic class, I think I might be able to fashion one. Should be an interesting side project next to my main sculptural work.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Well done, that is a great looking rack. I like the new pipe too. :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
fmgee: That's really cool, man! Commendable! Nice job. One more pass with carnuba and I think you've got it! :clap:

Stabilizing the heel seems to be a problem in a lot of pipe racks. The variety of bowl sizes and shapes makes it difficult to use one layout.
sparrowhawk, I agree with you, you could probably design a really nice pipe rack from ceramics/pottery.

You could also make some specifically designed pipe holding ash trays, or a combination of rack and tray?
fmgee: nice pipes too!

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Awesome job, just need to pick up some wood and maybe a router and I may be on my way in that direction as well. Functionality is all I need.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Heh heh, I watched a video on youtube yesterday about making a DIY pipe rack.

Stogiefarts is the guy's name. He used a cardboard box and put holes in one side. Instant pipe rack. It needed to be stabilized with some product in the bottom.

These are the kinds of pipe work 'a rounds that make Kevin proud of us, I'm sure. :lol:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Nice job. If you finish with varnish or something, you could put them up on ebay.
The problem I have with DIY projects, is that I often spend ten or more times in material and tools than I would the cost of the item. Of course, I get the satisfaction of displaying and using my own work.
Pax

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like the idea of using re-purposed materials, and the tobacco tin covers are a nice touch. :clap:
I'm gonna keep this in mind the next time I buy something that's packed in those huge chunks of block styrofoam.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Nice pipe rack, fmgee. +1cosmic. I have two that are wall mounted and the pipe has to stick through the freaking hole.

They are both real pipe beaters!. Getting bents out is difficult but churchwardens are a nightmare. Plans are a new one with the same type off system as fmgee has built into his creation.

Jan 8, 2013
I honestly think it's pretty dang cool. Quite nice even. I love the tins added to the cavity as a decoration and the spot for tobacco jars underneath. And most of all, the hook for the pipe tool was a very nice touch! Well done :)

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Thanks everyone. It is still holding together and working a week later so I guess that is a good sign.
Cortez "huge chunks of block styrofoam"? I look forward to seeing what you come with.
anthonyrosenthal74: The hook for the pipe tool was a last minute edition. I spent way less time looking for it now.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I have in the past built custom router guides for projects but honestly the one thing that has prevented me from making my own pipe rack is that I'm perplexed at how I'd go about routing the pipe bowl divets. I figure if I'm going to build one, it's got to be something I'd be able to proudly display in my home along with the finely crafted pipes I'd keep in it. Any ideas or patterns out there?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@fmgee, that's a cool little rack you put together there. Major upgrade over the pile of pipes on a table.

Status
Not open for further replies.