Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I picked up a couple of tins of Distinguished Penguin a few months ago. It is a very dry blend out of the tin; kind of a chopped course cut mix of virginia, latakia, and cavendish. It was an okay smoke but seemed to be missing something. I had some Captain Morgan sitting by my desk so I added some to the blend and let it sit for 2 weeks. Whether it was the rum flavoring and/or the added moisture from the rum the blend now provides a much improved smoking experience. This was my first foray into changing a blend and I still need to tinker with the amount of rum to add but it definitely appeals to my inner mad scientist.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I've added booze to blends, too. It really helps wake up something you're not crazy about. I have some leftover small samples I didn't like marinating in some Jaegermeister just for the hell of it. Maple syrup works really well, too.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
PenguinDrunk_V1Final.png

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Sounds fun, I have a few mediocre tobaccos at my disposal. I’ve also heard of people wetting them with their favorite alcohol and then pressing into plugs.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Question:
Do you actually taste the booze, or, does the booze just help marry the tobacco flavors....or, both?
I was thinking of lightly spritzing some Rum on a few different blends and pressing the Rum moistened mixtures into a crumble-cake and aging them for a few months for mellowing.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Frank

NYC

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I taste the rum a little so I plan to add more rum and see what happens. The journey is going to be fun....

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I've used Absinthe on tobacco. It's like rum, it sweetened the tobacco some. Absinthe has such a high alcohol content that it evaporates a little too fast. Something like Pernod or any other anisette works better, low alcohol content. Rum and Anisette are my favorite to top those throw away blends that just don't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.