PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
About 10 months ago, I cut a hole in my wall.....yep, just cut it right in there. It was roughly centered, but there was an angled stud in there cuz the wall makes a 45 degree bend around the corner....this threw me for a bit of a look. Anyhow, this evening, I decided to finally do something with that hole, so a display shelf is born. Even though it doesn't look like it, the shelf is centered in the wall section, and I'll be running by the lumber dealer to pick up some trim that will hide all the gaps. I'll also be deciding what material I'll be making the actual shelves from. But here is what it looks like as of now......
Joe
tumblr_nirh972eFr1s72xabo1_400.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well, Joe, it's a start. I'm sure that once you trim it, paint it and add shelves it'll look great. Are you considering adding doors? Glass paned doors would look nice; maybe even some lighting. Good luck and keep us posted.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have a setup like this. Check out the picture below. If I was starting over, I would find a way to change the height of the shelves as the needs change. A piece of 1x4 rests on the brackets I installed. You also need to find a way to keep the contents from spilling out. For the pipe shelf, I found a piece of 1x1 and then drilled 3/4" holes in it at regular intervals. Then I cut that piece in half, so I could have two shelves for pipes.
This picture is several years old. I have lots more pipes now. Some of them are larger, so don't really fit with the holes I drilled. Also there is lots of wasted space. Figure out what kinds of jars / tins you will store in your rack. Then plan your rack accordingly. Did I mention to design flexibility into this project? You might have pipes and tobacco, and later want only pipes.
Have fun

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
Thanks all.....I'm planning on drilled a series of equally spaced holes and adding shelf pins to give adjustability. Hopefully I can track down the trim pieces tomorrow and get some finish on them. The color of the back panel is the finished project, this shelf matches my kitchen and bathroom cabinets....the bathroom is right across the hall, so I wanted things to stay consistent. I'll post up the finished project soon (I hope)

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
Well, the trim went on fairly well and covered all the gaps nicely. Unfortunately, my screaming kids in the garage kept my mind a tad dull and I managed to crack one of the corners....but I'll get that fixed shortly.
tumblr_nit675Gvc51s72xabo1_400.jpg

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
That's looking pretty good, you putting a door on it or leaving it open?

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
I think I'm going to leave it open, not planning to store "user" pipes in there, just a few older collectible type things....some old pipes and tobacco tins mostly.....maybe a worn out Zippo as well.

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
Here's a little better pic of the shelf as it currently sits.....I'm planning to keep it open, as I'll likely be grabbing a pipe from within to have a smoke once in a while. I have a 1960's Comoys on the way that belonged to my Dad, an ebay find that will need some cleaning (thanks to my Mom for tracking it down), and I just bid on a lot of 5 pipes that will also need some work......should end up being fairly nice once filled.
joe
tumblr_nj3mw7XW9m1s72xabo1_500.jpg

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Beautiful. Way to go! I think the glass shelving was an excellent choice. I may have to start putting some holes in my walls too.

Status
Not open for further replies.