Disparities in shipping prices and times to Canada?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Like many other Canadians here, I utilize etailers for the majority of my tobacco purchases to avoid being gouged by the government. Of course, shipping does restrict the number of tobacconists I can use, as many just plain don't ship outside of the CONUS. Fortunately, there are enough etailers out there who do ship internationally that I can still feed my TAD without much trouble.
However, one thing that I have noticed amongst the etailers is major disparities in shipping prices and times.

For example, at the cheaper end of the spectrum 4noggins basic rate is around $12, with delivery being handled by USPS (1st class ground), and taking on average, 9 days to arrive.

At the priceyer end, Pipes and Cigars offers a single international shipping option, with a rate of around $35 for a couple of tins of tobacco, with delivery once again being handled by USPS (priority), and taking on average, 5 days to arrive.
But then you find the really wierd rates - Lil Brown, for example, will quote you $8 and six days via USPS, but when you check out, a 3rd party site informs you that the only shipping option available is Fedex Ground, at a cost of $65, and it will take 8 days to deliver?!? (I didn't pull the trigger on this order, I can't justify spending 150% of my purchase price on shipping...). Contacted LB, they were not even aware of this!
Has anyone else noticed these strange disparities?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I've reconciled myself to the fact that I will never use an etailer outside of 4noggins, and potentially SmokingPipes if the mood strikes me. They carry all the blends worth smoking, in my opinion, and so I will loyally shop with them for as long as I possibly can. The rest will be a hassle, I assure you. The only Drama you need is tinned by McClelland. Save your money and shop with those who are more than willing to serve your "International" needs - I have had stellar service from Rich and recommend 4noggins highly. My TAD list is longer than I can ever afford thanks to his selection alone - keep those precious orders coming North!

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I have 2 addresses I can use so I my plan is to order 200g/week until the end of time. If it comes down to etailers no longer being feasible, I will make 4-5 trips into the states a year by car and smuggle in many lbs of baccy. I refuse to pay $40 a tin ever again.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Be careful if you resort to smuggling marmal4de. You won't be able to post on here anymore, and I can only imagine how hard it will be to get your favorite brands in the clink. :crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.