PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I would like to know what commissions people have in the works. Right now I have three underway:
1. Michael Parks. Michael is making me a two pipe - one smooth and one blasted - set modelled after a Comoy 499 shape. I love this classic shape. Al (ssjones) was gracious enough to supply some reference photos of his 499 which Michael is using.

Michael is also making me a long blasted Canadian with a white stem, modelled after a Canadian he previously made:

2. JT Cooke. One Cooke shape I do not have yet is a Canadian. JT is making me a black blasted Canadian with a black and white swirl stem. I have only seen this stem treatment on one other Cooke pipe (a billiard) below:

3. Ray Kurusu is making me a smooth nose warmer billiard with one of his angular shank/stem treatments that I really love.

I am sure we will be into the fall season before I see any of these, but who knows, I might get lucky.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Judging by the reference photos those are going to be two badass pipes. @Peck, I know you got the money to make those happen.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Needless to say, gorgeous pipes. I haven't braved the commission route yet. My favorite carver

seems to read my mind. At the last local pipe show, I was out for panels, and I had already bought

one, an unfinished Sav, then I went to "my" carvers table, and he had one in Mountain Laurel that

knocked my hat off. He said, "I rarely do panels." Sold. I'd be a little hesitant, thinking that the

carver and I would see two different visions, but it would be an interesting trip to take. But since

this guy seems to be reading my mind, I'm not pushed toward it just yet.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I can't wait to see the finished product Peck!
Chris Askwith was kind enough to take on a commission for me. He is making me a pencil shank Eskimo out of strawberry wood. This isn't it but it did inspire the commission.

Also, Trevor Talbert may be making me a low slung, wide bodied Rhodesian as well but that is still in the works.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I only have one in the works. Todd Harris is working on a Straight Bulldog along the lines of this Dunhill. This will be pipe #2 of my seven day set. Trying to decide what shape will follow for #3. This bulldog will have a cumberland stem, and a stain similar to the pictured pipe. Todd's rendition of a Castello Apple is one of my top smokers right now. Can't wait to have another beauty from him.
Peck, I can't wait to see those Comoy's 499's from Parks. Those will be amazing.

B
C859F51C-0375-4E73-B6C3-66374F1B9F4F-1172-0000013583E6C941_zpsa2c2c610.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
daimyo -I am having trouble picturing that shape with a pencil shank but I am sure it will become clear once I see it. Chris is an amazing talent.He did a commission for me a year and a half ago that was phenomenal.
pipebow - I really love Todd's work and think he will knock a classic shape like that out of the park. Anxious to see this one.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Peck, I will travel to Canada to clean toilets as long as I get a spot in your tobacciana will. Man they are going to be some great pipes. Congrats!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I am having trouble picturing that shape with a pencil shank
I hear you 100% on this. It was actually his pencil shank Rhodesian that got me thinking along those lines. Not traditional for the shape but Chris pulls it off well.

Photo is Guantleys

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I have several that had been commissioned for others now in my stable but only one I had commissioned.
A canted squat tomato Morta bowl with black bamboo shank and dark amber stem by Rad Davis.
11409338705_2aee951f5b_z.jpg

I currently am having a Strawberry Wood Eskimo being made for me by Scottie Piersel and on Ed James' waiting list for one of his pipes.

teilhard

Lurker
Feb 8, 2014
I am hoping Les Wood will be able to make me a wind cap fishing pipe. Other than that my only other commissioned piece is my Mark Tinsky nose warmer which is my most smoked pipe.
bwk5d.jpg

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Progress pics fresh from Todd Harris on my Straight Bulldog. Looks like it won't be long. Can't wait to get this beauty!

B
6B9C74D5-4654-418F-A847-4B175222FA7E-4140-000004CFCEA334C0_zpsb18d647a.jpg

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
A beauty pipebow, very classic. I'm supposed to get pics of the modified eskimo tomorrow, I feel like a kid on Christmas eve.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Sometimes with bad news comes some relatively good news as well. These pictures brought a smile to my face.

Dec 24, 2012
Daimyo - when you say bad news I take it you are referring to the purple stem? I wouldn't mind a purple stem but yeah, that one is a bit too pinkish for my taste. I love the second stem though. I believe these stems are polyester - I have seen Chris on Facebook show the polyester rods and I am sure I saw at least the last stem there. Very cool. I wonder how polyester differs from lucite.
By the way, here is the commission Chris did for me. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/askwith-yin-amp-yang-pipe-set

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I don't know when purple went from the color of royalty to being "girly" but I thoroughly reject the concept! I consider the purple swirl to be an Askwith signature look but love that I can vary the presentation of the pipe with a stem change.
Love the set, especially with the morta. It's funny because I have been contemplating an Askwith night and day cutty set.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
My elongated Strawberry Wood Eskimo that Scottie Piersel is making for me is coming along superbly!
14537720546_cbb70c7914_z.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
Sorry, didn't mean to offend about the stem. When you said "with some bad news comes some good news" I thought you referring to the fact that you didn't like the first stem but liked the second. In any event, nice pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.