Discovered A New Rum Infused Beer Today.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
In my local supermarket (Asda, Penryn) I spied a new bottled ale on their shelves...Wadworth's Swordfish.
Described as thus...
"A unique blend of Wadworth beer and Pusser's Navy Rum. Brewed to support the 100 year anniversary of the Fleet Air Arm, but now available all year due to its growing popularity. With a gentle rum aroma and dark, unrefined sugar adding a rich smoothness, it is a full-bodied, deep copper coloured ale with a base of crystal malt and delicate Fuggles and Goldings hops. A very nice pint!"
Being a fan of their other ales I grabbed a handful of bottles. Wadworth, more famous for their 6X ale have really scored here, it is a gorgeous ale, fairly hoppy with just a hint of that Pusser's rum plus at 5% it's no watery beer at all, pretty full bodied.
Am sitting here reading my 'American Colonies' (Alan Taylor), sipping on some Condor Flake in a cob and sipping on some Swordfish...how good is life :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have a bottle of 20 year old Pusser's navy Rum. It is delicious and I imagine the infused beer would be tasty as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd be inclined to just go with the ale. Met a guy once who had traveled with his engineering job and recommended the shandy, basically beer and soft drinks. Obviously, this drink depends on how the particular soft drink goes with the beer on hand.

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
That sounds very interesting, I wonder if anything like that is available around here. I've seen the whiskey infused with beer but was not a fan. Rum in ale would surely be more up my alley.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I don't know if I've had infused, but I have had some Stouts aged in Rum barrels that were great. They must add the rum in the boil to keep it at 5%.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I've seen the whiskey infused with beer..."
That must really be an awful waste of whiskey...unless you meant beer infused with whiskey?
"I have had some Stouts aged in Rum barrels that were great."
I'll bet they were too, sounds like my kind of stout :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
It was J.P. Wiser's Hopped, I guess it's not really beer mixed in it's just flavored with hops.
From their website:

Beer and whisky often go hand in hand. Now, the taste can just go in one hand with J.P. Wiser’s Hopped: a distinctive blend of J.P. Wiser’s whisky and hops for a rich, dark ale finish. J.P. Wiser’s Hopped is made using traditional Canadian Whisky methods, but blended using methods from the brewing industry. At the very end of the process the blended whisky is dry hopped in the same fashion as India Pale Ale beers

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Jameson's Irish Caskmates is Irish Whiskey aged in "stout seasoned whiskey barrels." It's pretty good sippin' whiskey.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
When my wife and I were living in Calif. years ago, we used to pour a shot of Tequila in a Corona beer. (oof!) Then I got tired of beer, except for an occasional Guinness Stout. But I love rum, and rum infused beer might just make me want to drink beer again!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Bourbon infused beer is beer that has been aged in Bourbon Barrels. Abita Brewing in Louisiana has a couple of good ones like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.