PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrhill

Lurker
Jan 12, 2010
Hello, ladies and gentlemen.
Are there any Johs pipe owner/smokers out there? I use several--including a couple of Giants--and really enjoy them, so I'm wondering about others that do.
Johs doesn't seem to advertise big, which surprises me because the pipes are high quality and dirt cheap, by today's prices anyway.
And both Iwan and Ries and Pipes and Cigars currently have fine Johs selections, as does Smokingpipes (where I bought mine). If you're in the market, try a Johs bent Dublin; it's a first-rate smoking object d'art.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em,
RobR

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
I have a Johs bent Dublin I got used from Smokignpipes. I like it a lot. Seems quality on par with something like Stanwell and nice shapes and finishes.
Based on my experience Johs pipes are as good or better than the other bigger name mid level players like Peterson, Savenelli, the previously mentioned Stanwell (which I consider the best machine made pipes) etc.
How about some pics of yours?

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I have 2 churchwardens by them. I really like them because churchwarden bowls are typically small but the Johs pipes are 2 inches deep. I haven't broken down and got a normal pipe by them but will start to look around now. I have notice the majority of their pipes are pretty hefty sizes though.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Looks like my kind of guy.
Get half stoned and carve pipes all day. What a way to make a living.
I guess he was the main carver for Bjarne for a number of years. Pretty likely most older Bjarne's where carved by him.
Here's mine.

Nothing overly special. But I like it. It's on par with my Stanwell 19. Same general vibe and feel.
One thing I noticed is that his bowls are tapered at the bottom. The last maybe 1/4 inch comes together to meet almost at a point at the draft hole instead of being round bottomed. I didn't know what to make of this but it hasn't been an issue one way or the other. Smokes good.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
phil, I agree with you on the shape of the bottom of the bowl.
Of the 3 pipes i have, 2 have very soft rounded, nearly flat bottoms and they smoke very well.
One pipe however, has almost a cone shaped bowl, and it has never, ever smoked to the bottom in 3 months 15+ times I've smoked it.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
On this one bent Dublin I have it is a full cone shape to the bottom. My problem is the ash gets too think of layer to smoke to the bottom so I'm almost always stuck with some untouched tobacco.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
It's not severe on the Johs. Not like it's a drastic cone shape. But it does end up pretty tight down at the draft hole. Anyway, no problems yet. I've smoked it maybe half a dozen times.
Here's a pretty slick one on sale at smokingpipes for $54. They have a billiard too. But who wants a Danish Billiard? Sort of like Mozarati station wagon.
002-392-0454.jpg

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I had one but sold it. I sometimes wish I had kept it but I needed the money :(.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I sold all mine. I hate to be different and no offense but I just never found one that I liked. They make some really nice looking pipes so i bought several over the years but never smoked them. You sure can find some deals on them on ebay!

dawk

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2010
I've got one Churchwarden from Johs and I love it! Nice big bowl and it smokes great, never have a problem with it. Looking at getting some more.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I am about ready (2 months or so) to buy a Johs GIANT series pipe. I have my eye on a couple and they look great and I read a few times online that they are wonderful if you love aromatics. Anyone have any feedback about these giants and how they smoke?
Also, anyone have links to the Johs Churchwardens as I have been able to locate any of them online thus far.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
I have a Johs sitter that I picked up as an estate. Love the look and way it smokes..

Status
Not open for further replies.