Did I Miss Something about This Sasieni?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
No you didn't miss anything, about twice, or really more than twice, the usual price. Shape 52, the Hurlingham is quite common, one could easily find a "second" like an Old England for less than $50.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
OK. That was what I thought. Colwright, like kapster13, is apparently a seller on a hot streak.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
57 bids, 10 retracted. Someone is still boosting prices.
I've called Ebay twice. But as it's win for them and sellers, they haven't rushed to a solution.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I did not realize there were that many retractions on the listing. It looked to be a case of two neophytes locked in mortal combat. Interesting...

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I can't see that, but I'm on a desktop. Two guys slugged it out from $205, which would have been a "high normal" price.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That number of retracted bids can hardly be attributed to accident or coincidence.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Somebody is up to something. Seems like it must be the sellers. I can't see how the bid retraction thing benefits bidders. I'm still getting pipes I want at reasonable prices. But I have a tendency to work the less popular markets. Is it only happening with the higher dollar collectable pipes? Is it happening with all the sellers in that market? Or just some?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's so random and effecting many different sellers, that I don't think it is a dishonest seller. I also can't quite see where it benefits anyone but Ebay and the random sellers. What we can't see from that screen shot is the retracted bids and what happened between the $202 and the jump to $430. I suspect the retracted bids have some purpose besides mischief. This is occurring on dozens of pipe auctions.

Status
Not open for further replies.