PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsby

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
Sorry to bother yall, but I just received a new sampler of tins and so far haven't been able to open any,lol, I have only tried unscrewing the lid , but to no success. Do you first have to pry the lid off for the screwing to work?, I see they are made to screw off and on , but no luck yet?? I did not want to ruin any of them by taking a tool to them yet.... thanks from a noob,lol

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
You must be dealing with small tins. The other guys will know how to open those.
All of my tins are like the below. They just have pull tabs.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Their are little notches under the lid. Use somthing thin enough to get in between the lid and the tin. Once in the notch turn the object like using a screw driver. After you hear the pop just unscrew the lid.

bigsby

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
Thank You, I see the notches, I was worried about hurting the tin, now which one to open?hmm..... I am either going to try the white knight from hearth home or the dunhill nightcap. hopefully they are both good!

Dec 24, 2012
Coincidentally, I am now offering a personalized five day course on how to open tobacco tins for the paltry sum of only $5,000.
Send me a PM and I will sign you up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a fairly standard tin, like Dunhill My Mixture 965. You stick the coin, like a nickel or a quarter, into the

little notch and pry it up slightly until you hear the air escape. You don't actually pry the cap off with the coin;

you just need to break the seal and hear the air escape. After that the lid screws off smoothly. I learned this

on the fifth day of peck's course.

Dec 24, 2012
The testimonials speak for themselves:
“I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to peckinpahhombre for allowing me to study under his watchful eye and passing on his vast amount of knowledge regarding pipe tobacco tin opening. Peck is a patient and thorough teacher with well thought out lesson plans. I believe the time I’ve spent with him has greatly improved my tin opening methods. If your [sic] thinking about taking a class or two regarding tin opening I can’t offer any better way than with Peck at his shop in Canada!”
-Sablebrush
“In 2013, I went to Peck's tin opening school. I had been practically begging him to help me, and he graciously accepted. When I arrived I was surprised by how much effort he had put into preparation. He had developed a plan to, step by step, go through his process. Careful not to suppress any of my own “style,” he kindly lead me through a number of steps that he follows in opening a new tin. He did not work on his own stuff but for a few minutes when I was absorbed in something else. I had his full attention the entire time. In the end, I not only learned how to open a tin correctly, but I learned how to open one efficiently. Every single day I use what Peck has taught me. But the single most meaningful part to me was the warm welcome I received from Peck and his family. I went to find a teacher, and I did. But more importantly I found a friend for life. Go! It is well worth your time and expense.”
- Papipeguy

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Before I took Peck's tin opening course my fingers were bloody stumps. With his careful tutelage I became adept at tin opening without using my mouth and have had satisfactory results going forward. I can't wait to take his advanced "Using A Match" course since I have no eyebrows anymore.

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks papipeguy - I was stunned when I learned you were trying to open tins with your eye socket!
Glad you got your money's worth.

bigsby

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
WOW! what an interesting thread this has become. I opened the white knight from hh and wasn't unhappy. I would still put frog mortan cellar ahead, but not by much. I still have the dunhill nightcap.balkan sasieni,escuudo (navy de luxe), and ten to midnight from hh, so the choice is still up in the air..... Thanks for the replies, happy smoking!!!!

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks for the endorsement Russ.
You are one of my best students, and I was proud when you moved on to my The Joys of Tamping and Pipe Cleaners: What Are They For? graduate level courses.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
This would seem at first glance to be a dumb question but it is anything but. I rubbed the skin off my right hand trying to unscrew the lid of the first tin of tobacco I bought. I had to watch a Youtube video to figure out how to open it. Easy once you know how but not intuitive at all.

Dec 24, 2012
No discounts per se for forum members. However, anyone who signs up for the course today will get a free tin of Captain Bob's Blend as well as a complimentary two hour trip in his plane where you can smoke that wonderful stuff that was made by by the loving hands of the Late Craig Tarler and Captain Bob himself and then buzz a variety of small towns in a low-level, nicotine-fueled flyby.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I use only one fingernail, attached to the finger, and my palm. For 3 loonies or $5.00USD I will explain how I slip the nail of the index into the notch, lifting up while pressing my palm on the lid until the seal is broken. Oops!

Dec 24, 2012
This would seem at first glance to be a dumb question but it is anything but. I rubbed the skin off my right hand trying to unscrew the lid of the first tin of tobacco I bought. I had to watch a Youtube video to figure out how to open it. Easy once you know how but not intuitive at all.
boilermakerandy - The pain in your words is palpable. PM and course syllabus sent. Welcome aboard.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I started smoking a pipe less than 2 months ago, and when I bought my first tin I had the same issue.
Had a tin of Peterson's Connoisseurs Choice, would not twist open at all... grabbed and twisted and heaved on it, then noticed in small lettering around the edge 'to open insert coin and twist'. :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Once I learned that the cat food can opener wasn't the right tool, I was half way to enlightenment. It's a whole

new way of life. I make more friends and get job offers routinely.
Welcome to Forums, bigsby. I think you have a gift for starting a thread.

Reactions: ZappaFan

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
We all can agree that Peck is an accomplished tin opener but am I the only one a bit offended at the fact he is charging a fee?? It is an insult to the craft and art of tin popping !! What about the time honored tradition of apprenticing with a master. Start by emptying ashtrays, polishing tampers, dusting the cellar. You know...Paying your dues. I have traveled the world visited many of the great tin openers and they were happy to share their knowledge for free. They do so out of a love of the tin. And don't think you can just pay the $5k and become an overnight sensation. You might learn some tricks an tips to help but you have to have the vision and the inspiration to be a truly great tin opener.

Reactions: ZappaFan

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I can see where others might need tools, or lessons from Peck, but I just use my hands:
6a015394069e98970b0167666ef5d1970b-800wi

Status
Not open for further replies.