PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I have to start this post with "Yes, taste is a very subjective thing!"
Some DGT intentionally (I've done that) and some because they've been disturbed (how dare they) for one reason or another. Either way, there are those who love it and some who hate it, I'm not sure anyone sits on the fence here.
I seem to notice that pure Virginias seem to take DGT better than blends of different tobaccos.
Anyone else notice this?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I DGT pipes and cigars. I would tend to agree that the Va's stand up well although the burley blends seem to be OK to me as well. Interesting question.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yeah sorry but I'm with newfie on the DGT of cigars :crazy:
Absolutely in my opinion DGT works better on Va based blends.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I find it is a burn issue more than a taste issue. I find I can never get it going the way it had been.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Never longer than overnight for me.
I worked a construction job for a few weeks with a 1-1/4 hour drive leaving home 4:00 AM. Last thing before bed I'd fill a large-bowl pipe with a Virginia, 2 false lights, a tru light, have a few puffs and lay it down. Normally a sublime low-maintenance smoke, great for driving.
More commonly a couple of hours or less.
Speaking for myself obviously.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The thing to do with cigars is to take the flame to the cigar and blow through the cigar for about 5 seconds. Then proceed to light. Works for me.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
some because they've been disturbed (how dare they) for one reason or another
Pretty much the only reason I've experienced this. Always someone needs something as soon as you get your pipe lit....and they wonder why I get upset.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Yep ... Va's and Va/Per's are the best for DGT and I'll relight a pipe up to days later, not just hours.
@Papipeguy: Interesting ... I'll have to give that a try!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
DGT was a specific "technique" when first brought to pipe smoker's attention. It wasn't simply re-lighting a half smoked pipe the next day. I never really practiced it but it was meant, I believe, to caramelize the sugars in Virginia blends to bring them out.kond of

Like a

Toasted marshmallow tastes better than a raw(?) one.

Mike S.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Despite me not caring much for either, HH Bold Kentucky and Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake both do well after sitting out for a long period of time. I got to thinking maybe it has to do with a bit of the topping coming off it as well. Any thoughts on that?

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I've never intentionally done this but some I've come back to later, do taste better when relit. Others have a spicy sting to the smoke and were quickly dumped.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Problem with leaving it outside can be humidity. Can make it too moist to keep lit, and give it a weird taste. As I don't smoke inside, this is a major factor in me not letting them sit unless it just gets forgotten with a matter of circumstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.