PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Wow, powerful stuff, definitely brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for sharing, sable. Being a huge history fan, especially WWII, as well as the grandson of a WWII veteran, POW and recipient of 2 purple hearts, this is especially touching to me. In my opinion, that was the greatest generation.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Jesse I am writing this with tears in my eyes, In 1948 I was liveing with my Grandparents , one morning my Grandmother made me take a bath. Grandfather put on clean pressed Kakhis,Grandmother her best dress, I was combed and powered, we climbed in the 40 Ford truck and proceeded to the local farm community Graveyard. It was on a Knoll in between a rice field, Familes had gathered. Our neighbors son was returning to his final resting place from France. The Marine honor guard came at attention and the flag was given to his mother. Forgive me I"m crying as I write this. They shot the rifles and it boomed over the countryside. My Grandfathers son had survived Africa, Italy, Germany and had come home . That's the only time I saw him cry, his huge hands holding my both shoulders trembled and I turned not knowing as a child what was really going on. The sounds of the rifles have always stayed with me. That's part of the reason I served my country and love her like I do. I love that old Lady.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Incredible stories Sable and Cajun thanks for sharing. It really hits home the magnitude of that conflict as a young person when seeing first hand the effects.
I was riding my bicycle through farmland during a sunny day in Belgium near the Dutch border where I currently live and came upon a memorial and gravesite for Canadian and British airmen killed at that very spot in 1944. Below the maple leafs and crowns on their graves it listed their ages: all 19-20-21 years old. My great grandfathers fought here in both world wars and it hit like a sledgehammer to the chest that if it wasn't for these men and women I wouldn't be standing there in freedom and peace to pursue a better life for myself and my family.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Cajun, touching story as well, thank you for sharing that and thank you for your service. It's amazing the sacrifice that so many willingly made without blinking an eye, to give their lives for this great nation. My grandfather, like many others, lied about his age and was still in high school when he signed up. I have the utmost respect for all military past, present and future.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
What an amazing woman. Thanks for the story link, Sable.
If you have never been to the cemetery at Omaha Beach in Normandy, put it on your bucket list. It is a place that you will never forget if you visit it. The citizens in that part of France absolutely love Americans. To this day, they are extremely thankful for the freedom our soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines brought them.
Freedom isn't free.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Wow, powerful stuff, definitely brought a tear to my eye.

outstanding post
29o2uj9.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
A selfless warrior.
An amazing widow who chose not to forget.
Heartfelt respect to the residents of Les Ventes who still honor his sacrifice.
CBS News Sunday Morning excels at these stories.
Thank you for posting this story, Sable. I missed the broadcast yesterday due to an early Palm Sunday service: a procession with five other neighborhood churches that leads us down one of the main drags in Topeka. Unfortunately, we had to walk by fifty odd members of the Westboro Baptist Church yelling despicable comments and displaying equally despicable signage.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.