PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2014
I've been looking at Moonshine Pipeworks and have been so glad to find a pipe maker who shares my love of the cutty. His "Devil Anse" version is $85, and this is the first time, with all of the beautiful pipes to come across my sight, that I have ever considered spending more than $50 on a pipe. In fact, this would be the second pipe that I have ever purchased. I've been looking for a good nose warmer for some time and this man's work just calls to me. If I still want one by the time the holidays role around, I think I'll get one.
He makes other types of pipes, too, if you'd like to check him out: https://www.facebook.com/Moonshinepipes

Another cutty

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am not going to get drawn into this one again as I have posted extensively about 'Cutty' pipes and 'London Straws' and I love the way these pipes get mislabeled. Anything called a 'Cutty' was a short clay pipe of roughly six inches with a foot at its base to hold the pipe to avoid scorched fingers. Most of the meerschaums I own, which are many, are all in this style and occasionally I post pictures here for people to enjoy. The pipe you are seeing in the picture is not a 'Cutty' but what we used to call a 'Snug' or over here in the US a 'Nose Warmer' among other names. I admit it is a pretty pipe but the bowl should be narrower and have a foot on the base. I have a meerschaum version of this pipe which I have always found has smoked way too hot for my tastes. Thank you for a very interesting trip down memory lane!

Mar 31, 2014
Yes, the use of the word "cutty" is liberally used, in this case. But, I don't mind. The true "cutty" shape is very reminiscent of the human colon.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Recognizing pipe shapes is not always easy for me, particularly hybrid shapes and artistic renderings. I would think this example would be a "pudgy dublin". :wink:

Jul 15, 2011
I sent a message out over facebook after I saw a poker commission that he did for somebody in the hopes that I could get a poker pipe made by these folks. His work looks pretty fantastic and it's hard to beat the prices if they are as accurate as he posts on his facebook page.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Wow thanks for sharing. Those are some good looking nosewarmers. Also I see he's also working on this own version on the Briar Cigar.

Status
Not open for further replies.