PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Some years ago, I never would have considered myself a nicotine wuss. I could smoke the toughest stuff on the planet (and did) and not feel a thing (well, I admit to a buzz or two).
I have even smoked a raw leaf of tobacco straight from the tobacco barn. I did turn a bit green on that one, but that’s about it.
A few years ago, life changed for me. I tried SG’s 1792 flake. It just about killed me. I was really surprised. I just never thought of a pipe tobacco that I couldn’t smoke. Until then.
Last night, I was finishing off a tin of Peterson’s 3Ps. I’ve smoked it before. No problem.

I smoked the first third of the bowl. Put down the pipe when I got busy, and then picked it up after the dinner meal. Tacos, doncha know!
I suppose that I puffed too hard or something (again, not a problem in the past). And then all of a sudden, I was ill. Sweating like a stuck pig. I had to lie down. I drank a bunch of water and that saved my bacon, if you get my drift.
Here is my question: In all the years I have been smoking a pipe, I don’t recall ever seeing the Nic content on a tin, pouch or bag.
How does one know how much nicotine is in said tin, pouch or bag?
I have read what I could find on PM Forum, including Kevin’s fine piece on nicotine and sugars and another web site on the chemistry in tobacco.
I am wondering, though, is there a way to immediately say, well that tin is loaded with Vitamin N. I know because it is a Va/Bur/Per blend, or it is a Va/Per blend or a Va/Per/Cav blend, etc.
Sometimes, even reading a review, I’m not sure that I know all of the tin’s tobacco ingredients.
You can bet after reading Kevin’s piece I will take a better look in the future.
But, in the name of helping a brother of the briar I am just wondering if some of you fellows know the amounts of N in a particular blend, tin, pouch or bag from experience.
And if so, could you list them.
I think I have become a serious Vitamin N wuss. Maybe even worse than a wuss, a. . . well, ah, I will leave it at that.
Thanks for any advice as to which blends, tins, pouches or bags to steer clear of now.
I also think this is a product of aging and getting less time to smoke my pipe than I did in my youth, when it was a constant companion.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
They should put a nic-o-meter on the side of every tin. Like the thermometer on bottles of hot sauce. I pipe through out the day, and so avoid high nic blends. I've found a number of low nic favorites and stick to those almost exclusively. I like to pipe, but I don't like to OD on nic. I'm after flavor, not sweaty palms.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Thanks, guys. I will have to pay attention to the "mild," "medium" and "full" recommendations from this point on, or so it seems.
I'm like Kashmir: I wish there was a nic-o-meter on the side of the tins or pouches. It would be helpful.
I am still struggling with the thought that some pipe tobaccos are beyond my tolerance now. I love burley and have smoked fields of it. I love Virginia and done my part to eradicate the leaf from the planet. I am not crazy about perique, but have smoked it in blends of Virginia. Cavendishes have never been a problem.
I suppose this is a way for the aging body to say it is time to slow things down. I won't go easy into that good night.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I wouldn't want to see a label since that would mean there was more regulation that defines how to test for those things. The best indicator to me is the mention of a large amount of dark-fired leaf. I know some burley tends to be high on its own, but I don't have a reliable way to tell without reading reviews.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Ciderguy: I, too, don't want more regs. We got enough already.
I would like to recalibrate as they say: I'll just read the reviews and see if I can get it right and stay away from the dark fired stuff, which is a shame. I love strong tobacco, but seems that I can't smoke it as I age.
Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

jeff394

Lurker
Mar 7, 2013
Mac Baren's website lists a scale from 1 to 5 for strength, flavor, and room note for each tobacco they produce. I've come to appreciate that over the years. I think they even note the strength on the tins, too. If I'm trying a blend I might not know about, I'll go to tobaccoreviews.com and look at the strength there. But take that sight with a grain of salt, the strength listed is the average of what the users say about the blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Everything I know about nicotine levels is from direct experience or by reputation. I'm not sure I'd try

1792. Nightcap and Five Brothers have somewhat high nicotine, but smoked accordingly are a nice

treat. As with foods, your system may change over time. I went through twenty years of delight in hot

and spicey; I still like a little heat, but not so much.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
MSO: At one time in my life, I had what I called the "Iron Skillet Stomach." I could eat anything, especially raw oysters. Ate them by the dozen. Fish, crabmeat, shrimp, it all went down my gullet.
Of course, that was in my golden youth. I was invincible. Those days, I smoked whatever I wanted with no queasiness at all.
Today, I become ill at the smell of a fish product. It just happened. I have to stay away from those foods today, or it's not a pretty scene.
I will have to mind what I'm smoking now, it seems. Time is the great leveler.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
A few years ago, life changed for me. I tried SG’s 1792 flake. It just about killed me. I was really surprised. I just never thought of a pipe tobacco that I couldn’t smoke. Until then.
Agreed! 1792 is the only tobacco I have smoked that put me in the bag...

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I'm not sure I'd try 1792
It's actually a very nice blend, a bit tricky to get it lit and keep it lit. Sip slowly and in small amounts ( like in a Peterson Belgique or a System 317 ) it is definitely manageable. You even get the Tonquin bean flavor ( an intense vanilla-bean taste ).
The Nic just creeps on you with 1792, sort of like the spices in a bowl of Pho, by the time it's done ..... you're done.
I got close to tossing my cookies when I had the bright idea to cube cut it, dry it out and puff on it in my Savinelli Trevi 320 KS Author.....

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I recently got tins of GLP Navigator and Sextant. When looking at the descriptions you would think Sextant is just Navitgator with Latakia added, but maybe its not. I have had multiple bowls of the Sextant first with no "high", but last night I smoked my first bowl of Navigator and I could feel it right at the end of the bowl def nic kick.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I wish there was a nic-o-meter on the tins as well. Some blends are way too high in nicotine for me like 1792 or Irish Flake. I don't mind a bit of a buzz, but I don't like the sweats or nausea that some nic heavy blends can bring on.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
You should definitely have a little respect for the 1792 flake when smoking it. I also have to go easy on Old Dark Fired and Jack Knife. The MacBaren's HH Matured Virginia has also grabbed me up a few times.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Sean: I'm worried about ODF. I ordered it thinking I would love it. Read a review or two and just skipped right over the strength ratings.
As for Jack Knife: well, I gave it a whirl. It spun me around like a top. I put it in the cellar and will think long and hard before testing again. If there is a next time, I will go slow and easy.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Jack Knife gave me a massive headache the first time I tried it. Old Dark Fired isn't as bad. The 1792 flake got me good the first time I got into that.

Jul 15, 2011
I gauge the amount of nicotine in a blend based on a few factors: 1.)If I still remember my own name after the bowl is done. 2.)If I still have all my clothing on when the bowl is done. 3.)If those little green goblins start dancing around the living room again. 8O
Im a pretty big guy and nicotine doesnt hit me as hard as it does most people, but I will say that Cornell and Diehls Montford Point Marine and Old Joe Krantz both leave me with traces of blood in my nicotine stream. Five Brothers does that to some people too but I have never had a problem smoking that blend. Im a little nervous to try 1792 for the reason that others have mentioned above. I do love a challenge but I dont want to hurl either.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
1792 whooped my butt as well. and I failed to discover the complexity of the flavor. It tasted like poo.
I may give it another go, as it thus far was the only tobacco I didn't love.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Pipe Novelist: 1792 put me to bed. Sweating like I had been doused with a fire hose. I wish I had. I wanted to die. I did hurl and hurl and hurl.
I won't be going there ever again!

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Luckily I haven't thrown up from smoking yet. 1792 put me on the edge though. It'll put some lead in your pencil, that's for sure. I've made it through one tin thus far. I still have one set back, but haven't been in the mood to open it. It definitely has a weird taste to it. I almost get like a vanilla flavor out of it. The trick is to smoke it very slowly, and in short intervals.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I actually did have one that I puked on. Like my third bowl as a pipe smoker, it was a nice churchwarden full of Haunted Bookshop and I didnt know the early signs as I had never felt it before. I smoked it to the bottom and then stood up and ran to the bathroom 5 mins later.

Status
Not open for further replies.