PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Maybe some of you have seen Clara before? I think she is awesome! This video shows her making peppers and eggs. I've made it and it is very good. I remember my mother frying potatoes and hot dogs and Clara has a video making that also.
Enjoy,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IEWJmm4Tms&feature=BFa&list=ELjzf27VI-lLU

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Fried potato and hot dogs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OPQqH3YlHA&list=ELjzf27VI-lLU&index=3&feature=plpp_video

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
May God Bless her heart...My mom and dad would cook like that.Bet you her kitchen cabinets are jammed with canned goods.(Because you never know,we might need it)

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Thanks for posting!
My parents were depression kids, born in the early '30s. My dad's father was born in 1897, so I learned a lot from the way he lived; in the 1980s he still lived like the rural 1920's - outdoor toilet (outhouse), the bath tube was a metal tube in the kitchen, canning vegetables, gardening, hand-wash clothes, syrup-making, etc.
I grew up on food similar to that. And my wife and I still eat similar meals from time to time. Fried cabbage and weenies are good too.
But, my daily summer lunch as a kid was: purple-hull peas, cornbread, corn on the cob, fresh tomatoes and onions, fried okra, and maybe chow-chow (southern hot-sweet relish; like a salsa) on the side...all products from my dad's garden. He has worked in a garden every year now from over 70 years...and has a huge patch of turnip and mustard greens right now. My parent still can and freeze lots of food every year.
My wife and I make our own sour dough bread every week - been doing that for about a year now; one loaf a week. We make our own sauerkraut; which is great stuff! Our cabinet is full of jams, jellies, and preserves from our garden. Good Stuff!

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Lankfordjl... I have my garden as well, looking to double its size by spring. I want to have enough veggies for through out the entire year... I am also in the process of making a chicken coop and will be having about 3 hens for eggs.

My wife and I were just talking a couple of days ago that we need to start canning, neither one of us have ever canned so its kind of exciting. We also want to see if we can make some jams and what not.
Its a great feeling to try and be as self sufficient as possible.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
My soon to be father-in-law has a grapevine and makes his own jelly. It's fantastic. I usually don't get much as my fiancé like to crack it open when I'm gone (and who could blame her?) I can't wait to have my own place so I can tend a small garden.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
@captainprophesy
We had chicken last year, but coyotes killed them - terrible lose; they destroyed the pen (an electric fence is the way to go next this year). If you need any suggestions on canning, let me know. I'll can give you an opinion based on country wisdom and science knowledge.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Good to see this topic revived.
I stumbled across this recipe and made it. It was somehow familiar? Then I told my sister that I had it stuck in my memories but did not know who made it. She told me our grand mother made it for us on Easter! Nana is gone now but it is funny how food memories can be so strong. Now every time I make it I think of her.
I give you "Eggs Goldenrod "
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/goldenrod-egg/

zyrcon

Lurker
Jan 17, 2013
A friend of mine started raising chickens last year and recently brought me a dozen fresh. Wow were they good. I usually toss in everything but the kitchen sink and scrable them up. These had a ton of flavor all on their own. Good stuff.

Jan 8, 2013
sounds like my kind of cooking. I just mixed some sausage and ground beef into a can of ranch style beans. Come on tax return...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My grandmother on my fathers side cooked using all the parts of an animal. My favorite dish she made was called giblets. It consisted of chicken necks, chicken stomachs and meatballs in a brown gravy served over white rice. You should have heard the sound of people sucking the meat off the bones of the chicken necks, it was pretty weird. She would also make sweet and sour tongue which was amazing.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I grew up amongst an Italian immigrant family so the depression mentality was pumped into us from a young age. Peppers and eggs is an Italian American staple and it is a true art form. We grew up eating dishes that were made with a lot of passion and engineering to make the cheapest possible ingredients taste good. There is a lot to be said for doing the best with what you've got.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I grew up on a Farm. When I left home, I bought a 7x16' homemade camper trailor and put it in the woods. No electricity, no bathroom, no running water. I cooked on a woodstove and a Coleman camp stove. I dug my well in a dried up streambed. I lived there happily for 2 yrs by myself and when I got married, wife and I spent a year there. Sure miss those days sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.