PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
One more in Denver. I think there's a group that meets downtown at Delaney's on Thursday nights, which aren't great for me... so another option would be welcome.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
I used to regularly attend the League meetings at Delaney's, but not so much anymore. I live in Parker, about 20 miles SE of Denver and getting downtown is a real pain. I used to take the light rail to Union Station and walk a couple of blocks to Delaney's. But the city decided to "improve" Union Station and the construction around the area is brutal, at least for the next five years or so. Then I started driving there and parking is a problem. $10 across the street in a garage! So, ten bucks to park, bumper to bumper traffic getting there, a couple of beers + tip, maybe food, makes for an expensive evening. Not to mention the driving time and associated frustration. So I stopped going.
Unfortunately for me, most everybody in the club lives in Denver or north of town. I've yet to meet a fellow pipe smoker in my area of town (south of Denver). So any meetups between meetings are non-existant.
I regularly attend the pipe gatherings at Stag Tobacconist in Colorado Springs. The shop is 50 miles one-way, but is actually an easier drive and takes the same amount of time as driving into Denver, about an hour. Again, the drawback is everyone at Stag lives in the Springs. Alone again in between monthly meetings (sigh).
A club south of downtown, meeting perhaps at Edward's in Englewood could work. They have plenty of space in the lounge area and I'm sure the owner would appreciate the business.
The Smoking Cave in Highlands Ranch could work, though they're more cigar oriented. I haven't been to their new location yet. I attended an IPSD event at their old location, and they seemed accomodating to pipe guys. They're located off of County Line Rd.
http://smokingcaveoutlet.com/
Just finding a good day of the week to accomodate everyone's schedule is the biggest hurdle.
CACooper

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
Edwards would be great, Tom is a nice guy and the rest of the staff are fun to talk to, to be honest that's one of the reasons I moved down the street from their location.

englishdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Denver, CO
I can also second for Edwards. I just re-started my pipe smoking, and went there for tobacco. Just a few days ago I took time to smoke a bowl in the back room and the folks were friendly and welcoming. Good conversations around cigars and pipe tobacco of all types.
Apparently they have a pipe smokers group that meets on Thursday & Saturday mornings.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
I agree, Edwards might be the best location to have our gathering. But, Stagg may also be a good place to hit sometime as well. I think if we are to meet on more than one occasion it would be great to meet at different spots, there are, after all, quite a few smoking lounges in the Denver Metro Area.
I believe there is another big place just off Arapahoe Rd just east of I25. (Hard to say that and not sound like a Shane Co radio commercial) (Denver native joke) I know that they are primarily a cigar place but I don't think they would give us any fuss.
But again, Edwards would be a fine location.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
If we are going to do this I would say we should all post up times and days that we are available.
Myself, I am open to anything for the most part, just can't do Saturdays.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm booked most evenings - Sundays would probably work best for me, although things are going to be a little hectic until March.
One more possible location to scout out - Prince Phillip's on Tamarac is on the south side (just outside of the DTC, right off of I-225), and has a lounge area. They've been very helpful both times I've visited, and I plan to drop by to smoke a bowl at some point... :D

englishdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Denver, CO
Phred: Prince Phillip's is also a good idea. I haven't been there since I first came to Denver many years ago, but they were my goto store in 1991.
Deithial: I like the idea of meeting at different locations, makes for an opportunity to expand our haunts and change up the business we bring to the local B&M's.

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
My days / hours are usually relatively flexable for the most part. Definitley not open.....Tuesday (Day time) and Sat. mornings. I was originaly thinking of either once every two weeks or once a month. :puffpipe:
Of course I will have to have the final approval by my "advisor of my social activities." :worship:

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I like the idea of Edwards on sunday mornings actually whoever wanted to could meet early at the dennys around the corner have breakfast and meet at edwards around 10 or 11 or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.