PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
As I wander through the tobacco reviews, I often see multiple entries on every blend from this deleted account.
Is/was this anyone we know/knew?
This person must have posted a new review for each blend every time they smoked it. Usually in alignment with their previous reviews, although sometimes counter.
Just an amusing observation. Hopefully I am not picking a scab from some crazy old wound left by an unmentionable.
jay-roger.jpg

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
They collate all deleted accounts into a single entry. Something new must have happened as a bunch of old time reviewers are now deleted which is a total bummer.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
They collate all deleted accounts into a single entry. Something new must have happened as a bunch of old time reviewers are now deleted which is a total bummer.
I was pondering this very thing yesterday.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I wondered the same thing. I noticed some of the reviews from this account look similar, same style, vocabulary etc. But not all. Very strange, and definitely not something to be steered by when choosing a blend to try.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Back in 2012 I stepped away from smoking, until late 2017. Just since last October the “deleted account” entries has skyrocketed. Several of the reviewers I valued have disappeared into the ranks of deleted or one reason or another. While exploring ‘new to me’ blends those reviewers opinions were invaluable as I knew our tastes ran similar for a decade running.

This year I went to look up a VaPer, “he” was gone. I contacted him through the interweb and he said he’d not posted a review in so long that his account apparently just went inactive. But, NO, I hadn’t tried all the VaPers he’d reviewed!! Then another, and another....

Luckily, several others I trust still remain in the ranks and I’ve learned a few things about reading between the lines. The hobby is filled with helpful and astute members.

After several conversations one gentleman sent me some Brunello Flake, thinking it was right up my alley. He nailed me!! It’s sort of become one of my few desert island smokes and is sufficiently cellared for the long haul.

Don’t just read reviews. Reach out and make a friend.

Reactions: chopper

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Awww, man.
You guys have destroyed my mental delusion of a multiple personality disorder chain smoking maniac obsessed with tobacco reviews...
jay-roger.jpg

• Haha

curl

Apr 29, 2014
Whenever I find out about a blend heretofore unknown to me, I always check Tobacco Reviews to see what Deleted Account says about it. As often as not, Deleted’s tastes align with mine, If Deleted likes a blend, I’m confident I will like it too.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
There have been people who canceled their accounts, a few have been banned over time, and a great many accoutns that were inactive ended up on the deleted list.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
How do you get banned on a review site??
"Deleted" doesn't necessarily mean "banned". If people deactivate or delete their account on any given site, very often their posts, if they do not disappear with them (ala Facebook), are automatically converted to a generic, such as "Deleted". As already mentioned, if an account is inactive for some varying amount of time, the moderators may likewise turn them into "deleted", or some such. On here, I believe those folks, including those who get banned, become "Anonymous", but their posts (generally) remain, unless removed because of offense.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
If you break the rules, and are a jerk to the site admin. or a moderator when called on it, I can see somebody being banned. I really doubt many people have been banned there, though.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I reached the same conclusion when noticed 29K reviews from a Deleted Account :)

Started wondering why Sykes, Colonel Panic and etc got their accounts closed.

Due to inactivity seems a good reason :)

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
It’s a super bummer. Some of the old users have passed and their reviews were a deep well of insight that is near impossible to source elsewhere particularly to new pipe smokers with no link to real world pipe smokers.
One of my favorite reviewers, Briarpatch, was just deleted. He only had 33 reviews and posted them all in a narrow window of time in (I think) 2009. He was on a mission and once it was accomplished he never posted again, but his reviews were insightful, provocative and filled with fascinating tobacco lore. He was trying to find a replacement for English made Dunhill Standard Mixture and over the course of his reviews he discovered what Va’s did for a blend and ultimately found happiness in Skiff Mixture and FVF which he cautioned should never be dried.
Anyway, just one of many reviewers now anonymous that have added insight and helped a new piper along the road.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
OMG! I just realized that someday Jiminks and Pipestud are also going to be swallowed by the great Anonymous, boosting him to 1000.000 reviews and making the site utterly ridiculous :crazy:

• Wow

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Why merge all of them into a single entity? A strange system. Far too spiritual for a tobacco review site, no? ;{p

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Started wondering why Sykes, Colonel Panic and etc got their accounts closed.
Wait, huh, I didn't realize my account was deleted. It's gone, though. I guess part-owning and maintaining TR.com for a few years (2001-2007) and writing bits of the codebase (prior to the rewrite in, what, 2012?) doesn't rate. And Colonel Panic was one of my favorite reviewers (and he was a much better, and far more prolific, reviewer than I). Bummer.
I'm sure it was completely non-systematic, associated with accounts missing key bits of information we didn't require in the early days that were part of a rewrite spec, but, um, still, it's a bit like walking past a house you once owned and discovering that the shutters were painted pink by a recent owner.
Admittedly, I haven't actually logged in for years.
Do we know when this happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.