PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I happened upon this site I hadn't seen before. I don't know if anyone else here is familiar with this pipe maker, but I really like the look of his work. One appealing feature to me is he drills larger than avg draft holes...as stated on his site:
"Standard draft holes are 5/32". I think that's too small and many pipe smokers agree with me. So I drill mine to 3/16" for a better draw and open the stems with a tapered bit. You won't have to send my pipes out to a pipe repairman to have them opened up, as many do."
I like the sound of that because I often find it difficult to puff slowly enough and still get a satisfying flow of smoke, regardless of how carefully I pack the pipe. I'm wondering if a slightly larger draft hole would make a big difference.
His personal story on his site is also interesting.
http://www.dejarpipes.com/dejarnettpipes.htm

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I have seen his site before, and he does do quality work. He experiments with some interesting shapes and I've seen some very interesting grain colorations too.
Another one of the small scale makers who puts TLC into every pipe.
I wonder how his olive wood pipes smoke. :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for bringing this artisan to my attention. He does some wonderful work, although many examples would not fit my style.

I wonder how he managed to stay under the radar for so long.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Here's an example of what I mean by interesting grain and coloration, not seen often:
MczOC.jpg

zpd36.jpg

I saw an even better example on Ebay a few months ago, it got 25+ bids so I know it's gone now, wish I had a picture... it's not on his site.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Horace DeJarnett has been around for several years. Coopersark (ebay) who sells mainly high end pipes has sold several of his pipes-new ones,just made.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
He does some great work.

As for the larger draft, I think it works great. I have opened 5 or 6 of mine to 3/16 and they smoke a great deal better, cooler, more flavor, fewer re lights and able to smoke a good deal slower. Of course, YMMV :puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@batdemon: Thank you for the feedback...that's exactly what I was wondering. I have a few pipes that could definitely benefit from that. I think I'm going to have to pick up one of these Dejarnetts, Lord willin' (hard to keep that PAD beast at bay for long).

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
dejarnett-600x552.jpg
@zanthal: That's for sure! This group of smokers is from his "testimonials" page...all very nice imo.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
whoa I missed that pic.
he is highly creative, isn't he.
when I was surfing his site a few months ago, I saw that he sold a Pickaxe Sitter for $500.
And that green billiard there looks like it would hold a two hour smoke.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
He is another maker on my short PAD list. Also,unfinished bowls with thick walls, my preference, are not uncommon! His pipes command good money on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.