New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a friend of mine came by and brought a tin that he had gotten from Pipestud. He was excited. It was a really old tin of Country Doctor. I'd never heard of it, so we took a look on the review site, and surmised that it was a topped latakia mixture from the reviewers. It came in a tin that looked to be a long dead OTC blend. He told me how old the tin was, but now I cannot recall what he said, but the tobacco looked fairly fresh. I imagine that if it was in the OTC genre, that it must have been so laden with PGs that the age did nothing for it. The smell was odd and set off the memory bell, but I couldn't recall exactly what it reminded me of. He had already had a few bowls of it, and when I asked for a sample, he started pouring out more than half the tin. Now... this is a very generous guy. He always shares his buys from Pipestud, but he was giving me way more than he normally would. The thought struck me, "is he dumping this on me to get rid of it?"
Latakia? I didn't smell any. On first light the topping comes up and smacked me around, blech. Musty gym socks that had aged in a locker for an entire year after being worn for the first few weeks of gym, with something floral... is that cat piss I smell? The tobacco flavor was worse. Maybe a slight hint of latakia, but it was harder than trying to find Waldo on a wall poster. But, it kept ringing a bell that I couldn't focus in on in my memory. What did this remind me of. I had smoked this before, or something similar, something that brought about a strongly negative reaction.
My friend slips out the door quickly with a sly, "enjoy." Did I hear him giggle?
Déjà vu was hitting me all over again. I had smoked this before, but I had never heard of this blend. Then as I got to the bottom, which was hard work, as every cell in my body said to dump the bowl... it dawned on me. Mixture 79. It has been a long time since I had tried to smoke Mixture 79. I know that it has reached a legendary status for repulsiveness, but it is well a well founded reputation. A combination of horrible topping and even less appealing tobacco. I know, I know, it is probably not "exactly" like Mixture 79, but it had been a long time since I have had any. But, this was as close to the ol' Mix79 as I have ever tasted in a blend.
So, naturally, I did my part for the environment and put it in the compost. All in all, I don't recommend this one, but the tin is really cool. But, I probably won't get him to give me the tin, ha ha. It was an expensive one for him.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Wow! What a fascinating narrative!! You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the tin would you? I'll bet your compost pile is pleased as punch!! :D

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
mmmMMMmmm! Aged Yak piss! But I will tell you what, it has to be something for me to throw tobacco out. I've found most anything can find a new life being blended with other blends, either to adjust them to my liking or to use them to adjust something else.
I'll bet your compost pile is pleased as punch!
All the worms have moved on to higher ground. :mrgreen:

Thanks Jerwynn, I found one online. This is not the exact same tin, but it just like this one.

s-l400.jpg

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Awesome! Fantastic! I asked because I had a strange memory of a tin almost exactly like that on my grandfather's work bench... 92 million empty tins/cans of Prince Albert then with various hardware bits and pieces... and one of Country Doctor. Maybe that is telling as well!!

:D
:puffy:

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
That's strange. Country Doctor reminded me very much of Revelation. These were the House of Windsor versions from maybe 10 years ago. Nothing like Mixture 79. Are you sure that old tin wasn't stored in a hot tool shed for 50 plus years? :puffy:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I received a tin off CD blend (Sutliff match to Country Doctor) at an event a while back and finally popped the tin about a year ago. I didn't think it was too bad and bought a couple of other tins for later. I have not smoked Mixture 79, so I cannot attest if they are really similar.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Is it possible your friend is just coming up with clever ways to unload his stock of Mixture 79?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Just the name Country Doctor scares me. Are you sure it was meant to be smoked and not eaten as a remedy for an ailment?

Jan 8, 2017
Pacific Northwest
HA! I funny I just found a tin of this in an "estate" purchase--the guy didn't die but he can no longer smoke a pipe which is pretty close.
My first thought is that they should fire their Marketing Director. The name "Country Doctor" is about as tempting as "Coffin Nails."
I jarred it--thinking better of that now--and put it on the shelf. Maybe I should reclaim my jar.
@mawnansmiff: With the proper logo that could be a big hit. Of course, the syringe would need to be Photoshopped out.
nurse-4inch-5-5.jpg~c200

edit: replaced image with a smaller version.

Status
Not open for further replies.