Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
A recently closed thread veered into discussion of plateau in pipe carving.
Can someone describe this, in relation to briar?
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Yup. A "plateau" is a cut with the outside bark of the burl showing, as opposed to an "ebauchon" which is cut without that (usually at 90 degrees to it). Hang on I will post a picture.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
bgRHs0u.jpg

HR1CjAo.jpg

Desirably because lots of grain is usually near the surface crust, where deeper down, where cheaper ebauchons are cut, there is less grain (more heartwood). There are top-quality ebauchons cut from very near the bark, but they don't typically include the bark as a feature.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
One of two types of briar. The other, ebauchon. Plateau usually provides a more consistent grain pattern and have a bit of bark which provides the rough surface as it hasn't been touched by a saw.
I'm not a carver but, that is how I understand it. Plateau is usually (always) more expensive to purchase.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
A recently closed thread veered into discussion of plateau in pipe carving.

here we go again...My dad can beat up your dad,your mom wears combat boots, your a snob if you eat caviar before noon,Natural Lite is Gods beer of choice,anything else is snobbery,etc... :rofl:

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The pipe in question would have been cut from a birdseye ebauchon, with the grain running "sideways" as it were, (it runs to the bark), and that little bit of plateau left showing would qualify for the Japanese "Shizen" notion, quite appropriate for a blowfish in the Japanese (as opposed to Danish) style.

Jan 8, 2013
And the grain, in a sense, travels upward toward the plateau. The grain fibers that look like lines are actually straw like and so when revealed from above or below become birdseye grain. So yeah... not to kick a dead horse, but plateau is not a flaw in the briar.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Jay, when a full burl is harvested the exposed exterior of the whole burl is the "plateau". The whole burls then go through processing and are cut. Those pieces which show the outside region of the burl ( the rough knobby look ) are called plateau.
On the top photo sasquatch presented you can see ( far left ) the roughest look and ( far right ) a briar piece that has had the rough surface area cleaned ( in some cases with a wire brush ) to expose the knobby natural look.
The "plateau" cut pieces are more valued by carvers as the grain tends to be flame or straight grain and tight.
I hope this helps.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As for the pipe in question, I actually requested it sandblasted until Bruce and I saw the grain. The plateau remnant added to the overall effect, and I was there when it was made. Here are a few pics after shaping, and when finished.
imagejpeg_0_1-600x600.jpg

imagejpeg_11-600x600.jpg

imagejpeg_2-600x600.jpg

687_9734blowfish1-600x318.jpg

687_9734blowfish101-600x389.jpg

687_9734blowfish81-600x343.jpg

Reactions: Ben.R.C

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Good lord, but that's a pretty pipe. I don't love blowfish, but damn... Bruce nailed that one. Grain for freakin' days.
-- Pat

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was stunned and in awe watching that one take shape. Bruce saw the grain as he was working it, but I couldn't see it until he wiped the stummel with a damp cloth, first three images.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sas', chase' and fitz, thank you for the photographs illustrating plateau, a real short course.

Status
Not open for further replies.