PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I used to make handles on knives out of stag or deer antler. Drilling and sanding the stuff stank worse that the dentist drilling out an abscessed tooth. I read that smoking them doesnt render this smell/taste to the smoker, but I wonder. What if the pipe bowl gets a little hot, any taste come thru then?
Any antler smokers out there?

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I have never seen a antler bowl before. Sounds like it would tast awful though.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
No taste in mine, but I seem to remember the seller having a special treatment for the antler.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I only have a couple with antler stems. No difference in taste from just the stem but I do believe they are easier to keep clean. They really clean out nice and clean up with a stem brush. They also don't expand or contract from heat or alcohol.
There is a member of the Lakota tribe who makes nice hand carved pipes of all kinds & styles. He frequently sets up along the highway at Garrytown outside the Bighorn Battlefield in MT on special weekends. I was just up there in late June for the 138th anniversary. He is a skilled wood carver and I bought some pipes from him. He makes some nice antler pipes but I didn't buy one at the time because they appeared to be more of a ceremonial pipe than a frequent smoker. I have his card but he doesn't have a website. I like his other pipes I bought so well I may rethink my decision.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
There was discussion on this forum about this some time ago - you might find it with a Google search. My recollection is fuzzy, but I thought some said they had tried it and said it was a horrible experience.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I can see antlers being used to make stems. In fact there was a fellow on here a few weeks ago that had a super church warden with a long antler mouth piece. I just cannot see antler being used to make a pipe. It would be the equivalent of making a pipe out of toe nail clippings.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
This is probably the post numbersix refers to, from 2011.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/bone-and-antler-pipe-bowls

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I put a call in for my friend. He has no direct number and no one has seen him since he left for Crow Fair a couple of weeks ago. Crow Fair was over last week so he should be showing up soon and return my call. I want to get his opinion on bowls made from antler & bone. All of his antler pipes as I recall were made from carved parts: bowl, stem & bit. I don't recall any forked shank one piece antler pipes that he had made. I do recall he had some pipes with bowls carved from buffalo bone.
I have some elk tines & shed antlers with nice grain & bark to them. They would make some great stems & trim rings if not bowls. Small tines would make great tampers also!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
According to this article at Wikipedia antlers are bone as opposed to horn which contain keritan one of the components of hair,skin, and nails. I've used antler for shank extensions but never for a bowl and have never smoked a pipe made from antler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antler

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have seen a number of these showing up lately. I cannot speak to the reality of smoking an antler bowl, but as ejames has so aptly pointed out, they are of the same material as hair.

If you have ever worked horn or antler with high speed drills, dremel tools, etc. you are aware of the stink that ensues when the material overheats. I cannot imagine to many things short of raw sewage that would be as unpleasant as a bowl of lit baccy in an antler pipe bowl.

Stem material would probably be ok..... if it is not in direct contact to the fire. Just my opinion :O)
American Indians made their pipes of stone. Many existing examples have wooden stems, ornately wrapped in porcupine,beads,paint or even plain. I have seen them in many types of stone in N. and S. America. Frequently catlinite (argillite (metamorphosed mudstone), a red and or black carvable stone, was and is prized and held sacred by Native People.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
okiescout, horn has the same materials as hair--antler is bone and does not contain keritan. Guess I wasn't to clear about that.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Ejames, I agree. When you think about it that's why cow & buffalo horns are thin walled & hollow; antlers are solid. They definitely wouldn't work for pipe bowls, although cowboys & the trail cooks used to carry hot coals inside a horn from one camp fire to start the next.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I understand ejames. It still stinks. But hey, if your the adventurous type.... have at it my brother :O)))) Let us know how it went.
Did not know about the trick for carrying coals in horn by camp cooks, johnnyreb. :O)

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I've made knife handles & 1911 grips from elk antler before so I am familiar with the smell being referenced here. But I'm wondering if that smell isn't more from high speed friction from drilling & sanding? Maybe if properly broken in first, smoking tobacco won't burn the antler or produce the antler smell. I'm probably going to buy a ceremonial wall hanger or two, to be smoked on special occasions so I guess I'll find out. I can understand why they wouldn't be for everyone.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Okiescout,
I forgot to mention during the cold winter months northern cowboys would hang a horn full of coals with a leather thong from their saddle horn. It helped keep their hands warm while working and wearing long dusters they could catch & hold some of that heat around their body.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
A Civil War reenactor buddy of mine made me a pipe out of deer antler well over a decade ago. As a matter of fact it was the first pipe that I ever smoked. I mostly smoked OTC blends in it like Captain Black but I never noticed any off taste or smell arising from the antler material. I don't know if it made a difference, but the pipe actually sat on my mantle for several years before I tried actually smoking it. That may have allowed for it to "cure" as opposed to one newly made. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.