PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stumpyds8

Lurker
Mar 15, 2012
I am new to pipe smoking. I love it, totally hooked. I have been experimenting with different tobaccos and will post about those in an attempt to learn more about them.
Anyway, my real questions are:
I bought a Molina pipe, roughly $60 or so. Love it. I smoke 4-5 bowls a day or so, or less. I love cleaning it and I scrape out the bowl and pull the stem off and run a pipe cleaner through it. I smoke all sorts of different types of tobacco at this point.
I have noticed that is broke in now for sure and smokes alot different then it did when I first got it (much better) -- I am sure some of that is experience.
So... my question is ... What should I do for a deep cleaning? And, when smoking this heavy... should I buy a few more pipes and at the end of the day clean it good and cycle through the others to allow rest?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Personally I don't think you need to do more than run a pipe cleaner after each smoke. And you shouldn't really scrape too much or remove them stem when the bowl is still warm.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The improved smoking of the pipe is no doubt that it has developed some cake and you are more experienced in packing it. I run cleaner thru mine and wipe out the bowl with a twisted paper towel after each smoke, but I don't like a thick cake. Once very six months or so, I do a deep cleaning with more cleaners and some Everclear.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
For deep cleaning the bowl, you may use a number of methods:
Non Iodized Salt + Everclear (cleans & sweetens)

Kosher Salt + Everclear (cleans and sweetens)

Salt (Either Type) + 91% Rubbing Alcohol (cleans)
You may also use cotton balls in place of salt. I would recommend this if your bowl chamber ever shows signs of extensive wear, like tiny cracks.
Simply add the salt and,using a medicine dropper, add about 15 drops of Everclear/Alcohol to the salt/cotton balls, pausing every four or five drops to allow the solution to sink into the bowl.
When deep cleaning, I also wet two pipe cleaners with Everclear: one for the shank/mortise and one for the stem itself. This helps clean and sweeten the entire smoking mechanism. Be careful when using alcohol on softer stems, such as Willard or Medico. The vulcanite is split with polymers and is more fragile than your typical "hard rubber" vulcanite stem.
Hope this helps

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Should we really say that everclear (a tasteless and potent spirit) "sweetens" a pipe?
It cleans it for sure. But sweet isn't a word I would associate with Everclear.
Rum, whiskey, Tequila, spirits with some flavor can sweeten a pipe for sure. But Everclear?
Are we using a dual meaning of the word sweeten when talking about tobacco pipes?
Please Elaborate.

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Glad you brought that up Spartan. It has always confused me a little. Does Rum and Whiskey 'clean' the bowl enough or is it necessary to use the higher proof alcohol for this? I also have a bottle of homemade rakija that I can use but I wasn't sure if it was right for the job.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Anything 40% or higher should get the job done. In my opinion Everclear is overkill. But it will definately clean your pipe.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
My thoughts on Everclear:
It is the best choice for tough cleaning jobs

I have used it to bring many pipes back to life, some where "overkill" isn't a practical option

It appears to dislodge quite a bit of "trapped" flavor

It should be followed up by multiple runs of pipe cleaners to get the dislodged stuff out, more than usual

If not, smoking the pipe you cleaned with Everclear generally results in a "tanginess" the first few smokes that may be related more to the tobacco dislodging than the taste of the alcohol itself
Does Rum and Whiskey 'clean' the bowl enough or is it necessary to use the higher proof alcohol for this?
I can honestly say that I have been dissatisfied with the cleaning job performed by rum. I know many who swear by it, but I don't see it reacting with tobacco residue as well as others do. For what it's worth...

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
I don't think "sweetening" a pipe means actually adding any flavor to it. It means to get rid of any sour or off tastes that a good cleaning can fix. Commercially sold sweeteners don't have a sugars in them like rum, whiskey, etc.
FYI: There are two types of Everclear- 151 and 190 proof. 190 proof Everclear is illegal for sale in several states.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_%28alcohol%29#190-proof

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
This leads me to a follow-up question though.
I do clean the stem and shank with a good bristle cleaner dipped in Everclear once a month. But never the bowl. I may scrape some cake out if needed, but in general I reserve the "salt and Everclear" bowl cleaning for two occasions only:

1) I have an estate I'm restoring and I want to sanitize it and get rid of any possible ghosts.

2) I have a pipe in which I smoked a lot of aro's and I want to start using it for non-aro's (or vice versa).
Besides that I give my pipes a regular rest period, clean out dottle and too much cake. But not any alcohol treatments.
So, who cleans their bowls regularly with some kind of alcohol cleaning ?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think what Cajunguy meant was the process keeps the pipe from acquiring a sour taste, versus actual "Sweetening". At least that is how it described on Wikepedia under tobacco pipe:
Sweetening
When tobacco is burned, oils from adjoining not yet ignited particles vaporize and condense into the existing cake on the walls of the bowl and shank. Over time, these oils can oxidize and turn rancid, causing the pipe to give a sour or bitter smoke. An effective measure called the Professor's Pipe-Sweetening Treatment[3] involves filling the bowl with kosher salt and carefully wetting it with strong spirits. Many experts feel that is important to not use iodized salt, as the iodine and other additives may impart an off flavor. Some people find that regularly wiping out the bowl with spirits is helpful in preventing souring. Commercial pipe-sweetening products are also available.
I only use the salt/Everclear soak on estate pipes. I don't do this on my regular use pipes. Or at least to this point, my personal use pipes have only needed a light reaming annually. (my paper towel swipe after each use keeps cake to a minimum). At any rates, I have not encountered a "sour" tasting pipe.
For my "deep cleaning", I simply pull the pipe apart, soak a cleaner in Everclear and run it through the draft hole and heel of the pipe until it comes out clean. After use cleaning is a dry cleaner and paper towel swipe. I'll rub on some Obsidian stem oil on my vulcanite stems every 6-8 weeks.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@Mick, I wipe down the bowl of my Meer with Scotch after each smoke once it's cooled down. But none of the briars get that treatment unless it's one of the two situations you mentioned.

Come to think of it though, if one smokes exclusively OTC aros ( I've been there when I first started with the pipe ), then the salt/alcohol is a must about once a month.
@stumpy .... 4-6 bowls a day is what I smoke. I have 8 pipes on my rack, 6 are smoked regularly, 2 per day, 2-3 bowls each. Here's my routine :

- day one : carry pipe 1 and pipe 2, smoke 2-3 bowls each , pipe cleaner as needed through the day. Stem off only when cooled down ( like an hour after finishing a bowl ). In the evening, stems off, Q-tip and scotch the shank, pipe cleaner(s) with scotch. Make sure to put a paper towel in the bowl. Light coat of olive oil or coconut lard on the stem, and the OUTSIDE of the bowl.

- day two : carry pipe 3 and 4. Same routine as above.

- day three : carry pipe 5 and 6. Same routine.

- day four : pipe 1 and pipe two are eager to be smoked.

........and so on and so forth. I keep a plastic bottle brush to remove baccy scraps and excess from the bowls.

About once every 6 weeks or so, I take the pipe knife and gently scrape off any excess cake. Go slow and even. I also do a deep cleaning with shank brush. Remove any oxidization from the stem with Magic Eraser and/or stem polish. Oil stem and outside of bowl, buff bowl with microfiber cloth if needed.
I remember seeing a Youtube video by one of the memebers/mods here that dealt with a regular cleaning, can't recall where the link is, but it was awesome and all encompassing.

stumpyds8

Lurker
Mar 15, 2012
I have been pulling the stem off about once a day and running a pipe cleaner thru it... that okay to do?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@stumpy yes, very good. Run some bristle cleaners through as well to dislodge crap. Run some through the shank also until they come out clean. Don't scrape at the shank though. I've tried that once on one of my pipes and it had to be put to rest, as I poked at it too much and it caused a crack :oops:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can see if you smoke a lot of heavy aromatics, your pipe would need cleaned more frequently. Those flavor casings are no doubt what would turn "sour".
I rarely pull my stems, but almost all of my pipes will easily pass a cleaner (one oom-paul that will not).

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If I were you, I'd just get a couple of cobs or maybe a clay pipe. They are cheap and will provide a good smoke while you let your main pipe rest.
Or you could just be a poor, PAD-afflicted sucker like the rest of us and spend all your extra money on pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.