PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanishkarl

Lurker
Aug 24, 2015
I've been smoking a pipe on and off for about a year now, and own four briar pipes. I'm usually quite conscientious about doing the regular cleaning after each smoke, but have never done a 'deep' clean.
I gather I need some alcohol (rum/whisky/cognac/vodka) and that I then dip pipe cleaners in that and pass through the stem, and wipe out the shank. And that I alternate with dry cleaners until the cleaners come out clean. I think that part sounds fine.
But... What about the bowl? Do I use alcohol in there as well? Or should I mainly concentrate on reaming back the cake if it is too thick, and not put any alcohol in there?
And is one day of drying afterwards enough?
Thanks for any advice!

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Clean with pipe cleaners of your choice, you can dip them in whatever spirits you prefer but vodka works well. Just clean it (shank and stem) until the cleaners start coming out totally clean.
No alcohol in the bowl, just scrape or ream it if necessary to keep the cake from getting too thick. Too thick and it might crack the bowl in some cases.
Usually a briar pipe is good to go again after a couple hours.
Unless the pipe develops some sort of bad taste to it, I don't see any point in going further.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Make sure that you clean out the mortise as deposits collect there. To do that, take a pipe cleaner, double it over and double that again over so that you have two thicknesses of pipe cleaner on four sides. Dip that in alcohol on one end and twist it into the mortise and twist it around. To avoid getting any alcohol on the finish, hold the pipe shank side down when inserting the pipe cleaner into the mortise and twisting it around.
You might have to do that twice to get accumulated gunk out of the corners of the mortise. That should take care of any potential sourness. Follow that up with a dry pipe cleaner doubled twice over in the same fashion to soak up any residue.
Also, don't neglect to clean out the airway in your stem and slot. Deposits collect in the slot, so doubling a pipe cleaner or two, dipping one in a bit of alcohol and wiping the walls of the slot, followed by another dry one, will remove any deposits there.
For deep cleaning I prefer to use tapered bristle pipe cleaners to scrub loose any deposits. Fluffies I use for soaking up the deposits.
When you don't smell alcohol in the pipe, the pipe is ready to go, though I usually let it sit for a day.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
What both the above posts said.
I'll only add that I wipe a bowl out with a paper towel before it cools. I takes forever to cake, which is how I like it. I ream every 5- 10 years, depending on the pipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'll only add that I wipe a bowl out with a paper towel before it cools. I takes forever to cake, which is how I like it. I ream every 5- 10 years, depending on the pipe.
That's an excellent way to eventually build a cake that is hard and durable, one that is unspoiled by the tobacco debris that makes for a poor cake.

spanishkarl

Lurker
Aug 24, 2015
Thank you for the tips!
I have been noticing tobacco debris in my cakes (originally thinking it was the raw wood), so once reamed I'll try to do the suggested wiping with a paper towel after smoking.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Ive seen some pretty nasty stuff come out of a pipe using a retort, now I use one for every estate (used) pipe I get along with a good reaming and alcohol wipe in the bowl.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I wouldn't waste good drinking alcohol on cleansing pipes, buy some pure (or as pure as you can find) alcohol and use that. I use 99.9% pure alcohol bought from Amazon and it costs circa £7 per litre delivered.
To use good scotch etc is simply a waste of a good drink and of money. Those who say that using scotch etc improves the flavour of the smoke are talking piffle.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.