Dedicating Pipes According to Tobacco Cut?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
This is something I have been thinking about for some time now. I now that some guys obviously have their pipes dedicated to flake and plug, but does anyone dedicate pipes according to different tobacco cuts? I'll give an example: My two Dr. Grabow Freehands smoke a fine ribbon cut or shag cut better than anything, almost like they were made to smoke that cut of tobacco, be it an English like EMP or an aromatic like 1Q, or even a Burley like MacBaren Golden Extra. But for something like a more chunky coarse cut, like Tastemaster or Frog Morton by McClelland, I have two fairly wide, pretty shallow Bulldogs that smoke that kind of cut better than anything. I find that I don't really mind mixing flavors in a pipe as long as the pipe itself burns the tobacco well. Anyone else do this or am I the odd man out?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It's pretty common knowledge that different pipes smoke different blends differently, and cut can certainly play a role in that. If you find certain cuts of tobacco smoke better in some pipes than others, than use that knowledge.

Right now I've got some MacBaren's Dark Twist that Shawn sent me. I've got an old pipe shop billiard that smokes it like a champ, but an old Whitehall Dublin I've got is not happy with it at all.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
The only pipe/baccy dedication I have is with a Dunhill and Autumn Evening. The rest of the pipes get a smorgasbord of blends. The Dunhill does so well with it and I started that blend with it so, I just decided to stay with one of my top five favorites in that particular pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have my flake pipes and then I have my other cut pipes. Since I smoke flakes 95 percent of the time, most of my pipes are flake. I have about 6 pipes set aside for non flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.