PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickg

Lurker
Aug 1, 2012
Just wondering, with all the different types of tobacco out there, is there anyone who is dedicated to just one brand or blend? I remember ready about (can't remember who it was, long time ago) that he just smoked one brand. At that time, his tobacconist mixed him a special blend and that's all he smoked.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Before I knew any better I smoked primarily one blend in a couple of inexpensive basket pipes, that was 40 years ago. Then all he'll broke loose when I discovered Dunhill Tobacco, MacBaren tobacco, etc., and handmade pipes. Now the combinations are endless and it's fantastic. :puffpipe:

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I'd say there aren't very many pipe smokers out there today who only smoke one blend exclusively, at least not on this forum. There are just too many good blends out there to limit yourself to one. I think you'll find way more folks who have a particular type or style tobacco they prefer, (IE, English blend, or VA) and they smoke more of it than other stuff, but not one blend all the time. The great variety of tobacco we as pipe smokers have to choose from is one of the best parts of the hobby. Variety keeps it from getting boring.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
for about 6 months, only 7 seas( I add Turkish Izmir once in a while). Just damn tired of experimentation. I'm stocked up with about 8 lbs. I better like it huh? :wink:

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Back in college I worked in a tobacco shop and it amazed me the number of customers we had that only smoked one blend. Mostly older gents for the most part. One of our best customers came in every few weeks for his pound of BCA and that's all he ever smoked. There was also a handful of cigar smokers who came one once a month to buy their box of cigars, always the same brand/size.
I couldn't imagine not having variety.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I smoke a lot of blends, but not regularly. I would say about 60% the tobacco I smoke is a Frog Morton blend.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I'm turning into a Mac Baren fanatic lately but yes I like to try others from time to time.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
+1 Bentmike I'm a huge fan of the MacBaren's I've tried. Burley London Blend is a go to smoke for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My neighbor 3 houses down only smokes Captain Black Gold, I asked him why doesn't he try other blends and he said he likes his Captain, he is over 70. My dad only smoked Macanudo Prince Phillip cigars, I would bust his balls unmercifully about it and he would just laugh at me. He would tell me to stick my Cubans up my ass, but he always bought me a box when he traveled over seas. I would get him to try something different maybe once a year but that was it, he loved hiss mac's even though he could afford any cigar on the planet.
I cannot imagine smoking the same blend day in and day out, I would rather quit than do that. Variety is what I like even though my rotation( 16 or so) is small compared to some. I am still always on the lookout for a new one to add to my rotation, you never know when another favorite might make it in to full time use.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Looks like I am going to be a Frog Morton & Dunhill tobacco smoker for the next while. I am OK with that, lol :D

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm starting to feel different than most people around here - I'm starting to crave consistency more and more.
Early on, variety was what I was all about and the hunt for new blends was very exciting.
To be honest, though, I've been finding a lot of disappointment with the latest tobaccos I've tried and it makes me wonder why I'm chasing after something different all the time when I've already found a few blends that I'm very fond of...
The difference between me and most people here is that I've got to get everything shipped from another country, and if that supply line is cut, then I'd rather have 30 tins of old faithful than 30 tins of hits and misses... That anxiety is compounded by the fact that I don't have enough money to both experiment and stash away a beloved blend.
So for practicality's sake I'm thinking about heading down the road of a one blend smoker...

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
As i am quite new i am trying new blends as i can afford but i find if i try too many at once i can end up with many horrible smokes before i can afford something i do like. One thing that does pain me is the fact there are so many interesting blends i cannot find in the UK. *grumble grumble*

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
For the most part I smoke CB white, its my go to baccy and even though I have many different types of baccy stored and occasionally smoke something different, I just about stay with the Old Captain. Yeah I know its what many call cheap and low grade, but its what I like to smoke and it gives me the satisfaction of flavor, room note, and all around good enjoyment. So why change? That's just me though.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I haven't dedicated myself to one particular brand. I'm faithful to my wife, but in all other things I'm a manwhore. I try plenty of different tobaccos, blends, cuts, pipes. I like the adventure in trying something new.
Black House and Meridian rank way up on my list though. But the list grows...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Interesting reading all of these comments. After being sidelined from a bad case of tongue bite, brought on I believe by a particular blend, I am now gun shy about trying new blends.
But try I will! :puffpipe:

Aug 14, 2012
I smoked only Balkan Sobranie for many years, probably 30 or so.It was the perfect smoke. Anything else I sampled wasn't even close. When I couldn't find it anymore I started experimenting.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I have a friend, the one who got me interested in pipe, who has smoked 1Q for at least 15 yrs, I've known him that long, the only time he smokes anything else is if I give it to him..his response is always, " its OK but its not aristocrat..."

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I find that nothing else I try gives me the same experience as Escudo.
I don't know what it is, but no blend has matched it yet - even all other va/pers have been falling short...
Not to mention that its raisiny tin note and coin cut are my absolute favourite, and the Virginias are sublime. I could use a little more perique, but it is still very good as it is.
If I go for only one blend, that'll be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.