PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
Dear Missouri Meerschaum,

You are making most excellent products of which I am a serious fan. From your hardwoods, to your Legend, to your Eaton, everything you've touched has turned to gold and I own many of your pipes and smoke them daily.
Forever Stems are proof there is demand for a lasting stem for your pipes.
Please offer a Vulcanite stem. Even if just as an accessory hidden away on your website. I will purchase them in 10 packs.
That is all.
Thank you.

-An obsessive evangelizing fan.
(am I alone?)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
rogermugs, you are expressing an idea that I have had as well. Actually, I believe there is one of the tall

pipes, maybe the freehand, that has a permanent stem, maybe Vulcanite or lucite. I'm sure the management

at Missouri Meerschaum has been raising this question with each other for at least the last twenty years. Their

last major stem change was back maybe in the 1960's when they went from bamboo to plastic. I can only guess

at their thinking about the stem question, but here is what I surmise. Missouri Meerschaum has this perfect niche,

with the wonderful cob pipes at the most reasonable price of any tobacco pipe available. If they edge their consumer

toward a more expensive pipe, even by pushing or prompting an alternate stem option, they they are into a whole

new competition with a number of other low-end pipes. When you get up near the $20 level, you are beginning

to compete with the least expensive basket briar pipes, some rosewood pipes, maybe some pear wood pipes, and so on.

The market of pipe smokers has been declining for the last 30 years or more, so the competition is fierce. Your

business model has got to work, or you are out of the game. So I think MM is clinging to that low-end niche for

all their life is worth, and providing us with magnificent corncob pipes in the process. If they could offer some

alternative stems, that would be convenient, but I'd rather have them stay in business than take a risk. In the meantime,

if you want their plastic stems to last, just equipped them with a softie, or of course, take the extra expense of using

a Forever stem. Just keep MM in business, this great old American firm in Washington, Missouri.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I like the idea of a "throw away" pipe. After all, there are after market vulcanite bits available. MSO's point should not be taken lightly. MM have a niche, they dominate the niche, heck, they are the niche! I'm betting that they have vetted the vulcanite idea and just do not want to upset the old apple cart. There is some demand but, obviously they do not feel it is large enough to meet it.
A reasonable idea would be to allow "Forever Stems" to vend their product on the MM website and take a percentage. I suspect that "Forever Stems" would jump on that idea if the percentage was acceptable. But, Forever has a niche and maybe they are quite comfortable with what they are doing.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
Forever Stem option would be great. I just bought one for my MM & love it and will smoke it more often and probably buy more MM's and a Forever stem to go with them.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
Alright, alright. I just love the pipes so much, and replacing the plastic isn't the end of the world by any means, but I'd sure love to have one stem on there I never have to worry about. I could go with a forever stem, but I just can't quite get past the cost of the stem. If basket pipes are $30, why is a stem $30? I know the quality is impeccable, but I'm the cheapskate pipe buyer (I own expensive pipes, I just love the idea of my cheap ones, especially when they smoke better).
I am the market for the MM Vulcanite stem at $10-$15 per.
And I believe there are more like me. But alas.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
There's a person on ebay selling acrylic stems fairly cheap for MMs. I'm not sure how well they fit.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
love my MM's just bought a bunch of replacement stems...they are less than a buck... Country Gentleman!

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
Is this what you are looking for?
http://aristocob.com/REPLACEMENT-VULCANIZED-RUBBER-BIT-ONLY-Bent-Freehand-Bit-B6-P664766.aspx

redheadedsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Iowa
@ithelouniverse: Nope, all you need to worry about is whether it's filtered or unfiltered (originally), as that determines the stem. As long as it's a type within the same 'family' (i.e. going from a Legend to a Diplomat or Country Gent for Filtered, etc) you're good to go and they're interchangeable within that 'family'.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Nope, all you need to worry about is whether it's filtered or unfiltered (originally), as that determines the stem.
You might need to do a little bit of fitting, depending on how new the pipe is. When I got a churchwarden Forever Stem for my Country Gentleman, it was quite tight and I wound up doing some judicious sanding (very lightly, very fine grit) to allow it to fit snugly instead of requiring brute force. Works like a charm!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I wasn't wild about the MMs until I found the Forever stems. What a difference!
I've given several as gifts to my friends, and they all wonder why they didn't know about these little jewels. B&Ms are few and far between in Washington, so until the internet, they remained hidden.
You are able to buy MM cobs on the Walker site (home of the Forever stem) - they don't have all of the styles, but still there are quite a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.