PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
This may sound crazy but I switched to using a double edge safety razor back in July after reading some online articles and loved it, I'll never switch back to "modern" shaving methods.
I just ordered 100 blades (that's about 400 shaves) and a new 3 piece L6 by Lord. This will last me over a year and it cost me $31.90.
...I also shave with COLD water as well, it works.
With the money save, well, that means more for tobacco.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Old is new again. I applaud you, I just can't get me to drag very very sharp things next to my veins. I am a power shaver all the way.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
if you try a strait razor and give it a bit of time to learn how to use one, you'll never fo back to the "modern" way of shaving....

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have been thinking of picking up a safety razor. I shave my head in the shower and as much as I like to grow a beard my wife likes me clean shaven. She says if I stay clean shaven she will also! :wink:
So where do you get these safety razors Jay bird?

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
You know what's even cheaper? Looking like this:
b.jpg

;)

mcarnevale

Lurker
Nov 7, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Gonna order a DE handle soon. I have been shaving with brush and soap for years, I would never go back to a can. Besides, a cake of soap cost under two bucks and lasts almost a year. Of course right now I'm growing my winter beard so only the neck line is being shaved.

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
Here is what I use.

Combines benefits of a straight razor and a safety razor.

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I've been using a double edge razor for a couple of years. I also use shaving soap and a brush. Beside's being cheaper it makes shaving more of a ritual, kinda like packing and smoking a pipe.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I learned to use a straight razor. I liked it but I still leave that to the pros. I use a mug and brush instead of shave cream/gel but I went back to a modern razor. I also make my own after shave.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Well, if we attack this with the same levels of vigor as our pipes and tobacco, soon we will see a parallel website and universe. We will express our acceptance or and frustrations with RAD and BAD. We will debate the subtle differences between Wilkinson and Gillette. Cob folk will be the straight edge purists. And instead of tongue bite we will talk about the pros and cons of styptic pencils vs. home remedies for cuts. Some of us will proudly show our empty artichoke heart jars we re-purposed as shaving soap holders. And the host, Devin, will attempt to keep it on track, which we know is like keeping a piano from rolling downhill.
Yes, this may be dangerous ground!

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Badger and Blade is a forum about shaving...lol and I belong to two others as well.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
The upkeep on a cut throat seems a bit much...considering I'm allowed 10min. of bathroom time in the morning. (wife and 2 daughters)

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Haha, I just read this thread, I bought a Parker r22 last year and love it, tobac shave soap, and a sample pack of blades..
Any who wish to try DE shaving, try a sample pack of blades to find the right one

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
I've been using a straight razor now for about two years...nothing like it. I've paid for the razor in savings from buying mach 3 blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.