PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I am smoking this tobacco as we speak to write this post. I usually like most VaPers, but I am not so much into flakes or rolls if you like. I have thoroughly enjoyed this tobacco every time it went in my bowl, but I´d not change it over Elizabethan Mixture, which is one of my staples I usually keep on my rotation. For one thing, I can´t quite keep it lit in my bowl (this is at the very early stages however dry it might be). Secondly, I find this tobacco starts yielding as you go past your first quarter of the bowl, but the perique bit in it is not as much in your face as in other VaPers. Is this a bad thing? Perhaps not.but this tobacco reminds me a little bit to Dunhill´s Flake with the added zest of the perique they put in it. I don´t know what it is I am doing wrong, but it really bugs me as I know there is more to this tobacco than I can taste (perhaps its flake form?). I´d like to know what your experience with this tobacco is and how you got on with it? Do you dry it like I do before smoking it? How do you like its current flake form? Any tips you would like to give on this? Thanks.
deluxe_zps492925b3.jpg

elisabethanmixture_zpsaa127a0d.jpg

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I have found that the rolls and even some flakes, because of the oil that the tobacco releases when it's pressed, take a little more care than say a ribbon or other cuts to keep lit. You might try letting it dry for a while, and if you're not try rubbing it out then letting it dry. The other thing I find is that a really REALLY good char light is a must with a lot of these type tobaccos.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Don´t get me wrong (I just finished my bowl) this is a great smoke. I particularly like the end of the bowl, which has a somewhat walnut (roasted) taste to it, but when I read other reviews I see how other people seem to get more out of it than I do. In particular, I cannot understand what it is to flakes I can´t get on with. My rolls are plain dry now, but they smoke really hot at the start of the bowl (which is a quality of most Virginias), and can´t keep them lit for long. I know that I am missing something.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
How are you preparing the flake? I personally do not rub them out, either fold/stuff or cube cut. That being said, I usually will rub out enough for the top of the bowl to get it started. Not only is it easier to light, but it's easier to get an even burn across the top, which is hard to do with unrubbed flakes. I think getting that even burn at the beginning helps the burn throughout the bowl.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I have tried the small cubes so far, but I find it even harder to keep them lit. I have never tried the so called fold in 2 method, but I don´t think this is gonna work as I am already finding trouble with the cubes, which could be seen as a variant. I must admit to the fact I am kinda jealous of you all that seem to be able to get so much out of it, but it all looks as though only rubbed tobaccos will work for me. And let me make one thing clear. I am not saying I don't enjoy DNR (they say this mixture is pretty similar to Escudo, speaking of which, I haven't tried yet), but that I am sure there is more to this tobacco than meet the eye.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I watched a video of the factory in Denmark for McBarren and the head guy there discussed smoking coins and why and how they're made.

He suggested the fold and stuff (this is where some of us go wrong) method. I think you must consider expansion of the pressed tobacco. He said that when rubbed out the tobacco will burn too rapidly and smoke too hot to obtain the flavor which will be more accessible with the fold method and the naturally slow burning of the coin (or flake).

So, don't pack it too tightly. Fold it. Smoke it slowly.

My first Escudo smoke just happened to work out that way. I was too cheap to really pack the bowl and it turns out I was doing it correctly. Perhaps some airing out will help?

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I have only tried Dunhill Early Morning Pipe & Stqndard Mellow Mixture and so far I think Dunhill Tobacco's are bland and crap. Maybe I have not tasted a good one yet. Those two were like cigarette tobacco with sticks through it.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I personally love any Dunhill blend, but I guess this is all down to your personal preferences. Why don't you try Royal Yacht, which is a Virginia based tobacco (no Latakia) and tell me what you think?

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
+1 jorgesoler
I have yet to meet a Dunhill tobacco that I didn't like and some are my absolute favorites. It takes a while to get the hang of flakes (at least, it did for me) but I kept at it and it just seemed to come together one day. I also recommend packing flakes less tight than loose tobacco and saving some "kindling" for a good char light/coal. Good luck and keep trying.

stoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
what I've done with PS Bullseye is try to unravel the longest pieces I can and bunch them up in my fingers and push down into the pipe. Then I stack 1 or 2 centers from the roll and pinch another piece and tamp down on top. Finish it up with some rubbed out flake or whatever is flaked off in bottom of the bag. I get a good 1.5 hour smoke out of that and pipe isn't huge. and yes I have re-lights.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Toby, try some Nightcap or MM965 (both are available in bulk, so you can get a small sample) before you write off Dunhill. You've tried 2 of the lightest of their blends, which is not a good sample on which to judge the brand as a whole. Both are much more full, and are 2 of my go-to blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.