PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Temporary injunction bars man from smoking inside his home after neighbors sue..
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/10/temporary-injunction-bars-man-from-lighting-up-inside-his-washington-home-after/
Pax

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Wow. And in DC none the less so the ruling will turn into some pretty significant case law. Hopefully the lobbyists help this guy out with some representation.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
So while obviously ridiculous, why it the smoke able to get into another person's house due to a "hole in the basement"? Is it just the smell traveling a few feet or is there actual smoke ending up in the second person's house? Seems odd to say the least.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
apparently it's a duplex and they share walls.

I was curious if that is the case but they keep saying things like neighbor and "house the family has owned for 50 years."

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I thought maybe it was some of that killer baby-seeking smoke that just shoots across the yard and into a hole in your basement. LOL

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
That's what I wasn't getting. :lol: If they are indeed in a duplex, it really could have been written better as that is a much different situation. I was wondering if perhaps they basements butted up against each other or something to that effect.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
The injunctioned party should set up a small stove by the porous basement wall and cook up curry fish and collards daily until the injunction is lifted.
Or, God forbid, the two parties work together to seal the wall separating the properties.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I'll be damned if I let anyone tell me what to do in my own home. I would continue smoking and let the swat team kick my door in shoot my dogs taser and arrest me, before I let some treehugger in a robe dictate what I do in my home. Tis better to die on my feet, than live on my knees.
This kind of assault on personal freedom infuriates me to no end.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
The injunctioned party should set up a small stove by the porous basement wall and cook up curry fish and collards daily until the injunction is lifted.
I was thinking the same thing...something smelly would be emanating through that hole.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I once lived in a shoddy apartment building in which smoke from the neighbor below rose through the floor of my utility closet. I wish I had thought to sue for $500,000 in damages - I could have bought a lot of pipes and tobacco with that money.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
And in DC none the less so the ruling will turn into some pretty significant case law.
Actually, that it is in D.C. means any precedent would only be binding to D.C. residents. As D.C. was 51st in population among all states and territories, it is almost as limited in effect as possible. Additionally, since it is in a trial court, the precedential effect would be pretty much nothing. Other courts of the same standing would be free to rule exactly opposite of what this court does until a higher court weighs in. While judges might consider the outcome in the interests of consistency, they would not be bound by the case.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
The discouraging fact is Americans elected these fascists and the elected officials appoint like minded ideologues. In some cases, they re-elected officials that proved they value the constitution more than toilet paper.
We may already be beyond the point of no return. The America we loved is in complete free fall. The country of my youth that uniformly valued freedom, enterprise and Judeo Christian values and morals no longer exists. The only question is who will be around to pick up the pieces and what will that chapter bring? In similar circumstance, some strong man totalitarian usually steps in to "restore order".
Pax

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
We may already be beyond the point of no return. The America we loved is in complete free fall. The country of my youth that uniformly valued freedom, enterprise and Judeo Christian values and morals no longer exists.

LOL! Scrapping with a neighbor especially with one you share a wall or yard with goes back a little further than then "our youth". I get a chuckle out of the talk of all this lost freedom when we just honored the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday a couple of days ago. 8O

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
In the judge's defense, he only issued a temporary injunction. It only lasts until the case can actually be heard, and involves a much lower bar than winning the suit. It's really impossible to judge without knowing the full facts and allegations.

Status
Not open for further replies.