PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperookie

Lurker
Mar 16, 2013
Does anyone else have days they won't smoke on? Day's that are "sacred" I suppose. My example is that I won't smoke on a Sunday, for religious reasons. Almost a permanent weekly Lent if you will. May sound dumb to some, but it is important to me. No judgement on anyone's reasons, just curious.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I believe that a man who observes his inner self is a man of character, we don"t have many of those these days , do it and feel good about yourself. The old cajun :clap:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Because I am Jewish, I don't smoke on the Jewish Sabbath – i.e. from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown, Because we're not supposed to light fires on the Sabbath. I'm also a rabbi, but the reason I follow the rules of my faith is because I am a Jew first. Incidentally, if you want to get brief look at what makes a Rabbi tick, listen to this week's pipesmagazine.com radio show #27, where I had the privilege of being interviewed by Brian Levine.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Sir I loved your interview, particularly about the Bow thing, been there done that , you have my utmost respect, your interview really struck a chord with me, you sounded like an old Chief Warrant Officer I served with, he was in the Army in World War 2 and liberated Daku, I was the only person who he would say anything about that, he had a beautiful soul and I know you do to, your Friend Bradley. The old cajun

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I don't have anything like that as far as smoking. I have days important to me that I observe in special ways though. I understand and respect that.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Thanks, Bradley, for your very kind remarks.

Funny thing, on the Sabbath were supposed to do things that we especially enjoy, like eating a really wonderful meal, making love, etc., so it would seem that smoking a pipe should be on that list, but the prohibition against making a fire overrides that.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I don't see any conflict between smoking and my beliefs, but I also don't smoke all week, or every week for that matter. I don't let it become an addiction, although it may be considered a habit.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Rabbi
I was going to post a quick funny comment like "Yeah, I try not to smoke on the 8th day of the week" or something like that.
However, this conversation turned serious and I have all respect for those who choose to follow the righteous path, whatever flavor they choose.
I had asked on the radio show comments if there is a special prayer (Barucha) for tobacco, other than say, the harvest prayer.
Maybe I'll use that prayer once in a while, of course, after going to Shul (Jewish house of worship). :)
Allan

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
I'm a religious man, and some may not agree with me here, but it is my opinion that all days are sacred gifts. Whatever day today may be it is no different than tomorrow or yesterday, all of which are a miracle to be cherished, and one way I decide to celebrate the miracle of life is by smoking a pipe 8)

ebag

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2013
Honestly, I don't really have a day that I won't smoke, but I have like certain areas. Like I won't smoke around my grandparents or like my own parents(even though they smoke cigarettes). It's just something that's been like engrained into me and everything. Though, I definitely never end up smoking on like Christmas or Easter. Even though I'm rarely around family those days. It's just never seems to happen.

punkrockarmy

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2013
I don't follow any religion or form of spirituality but for some reason, I just refuse to smoke on Mondays and Wednesdays.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
One of the ways you might be able to smoke a pipe on Shabbat without violating the rule against "work" (e.g., lighting a fire), is to prepare a smouldering fire of coals on Friday afternoon. If you cover the glowing coals, the embers should last for 24 hrs. You can then remove a small ember with forceps, like in days of old, and light your pipe. Just a thought. I know some observants keep a low flame under a crock pot prepared on Friday, so the food stays warm throughout Shabbat. Indeed this day is set aside for joy and reflection. What better way to do this than with a pipe?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Sorry Kashmir, but while your recollection that this is a day set aside for joy and reflection is indeed correct, you're just a tad off on a point of Jewish law. One may neither light nor transfer a fire on the Sabbath day. However, one is certainly permitted to transfer a flame on a festival, such as Passover, which commences tomorrow evening, so I will have the joy of smoking my pipes during the week of the festival, indeed, even at the Seder. On the Sabbath, however, we seek out other delights.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
No self-imposed off-days, just a lack of time on certain days. Warm weather definitely presents me with more smoking opportunities. During the winter, I smoke out in my workshop. If I get home late, while I might enjoy a smoke, I hate to sequester myself in the cool garage, while my wife is inside. I'll sacrifice a smoke to spend time with her. During the Spring/Summer, we're usually out on the patio till dark, so I can do both. I travel a good bit and in the summer, I keep a bag chair in the car and never travel without my pipe. On a warm summer evening, I'll go out under a tree to enjoy my pipe. During winter, smoking outside is not enjoyable, so I leave the pipe at home. Or when I'm lucky and near a pipe/cigar shop, I'll enjoy their hospitality.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
+1 for Al, time is definitely the biggest culprit for me as well. I usually only get a chance to on Friday, Saturday, and the occasional Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.