PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

professorwheezy

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2013
I have acquired a Guildhall Pipe. I know it is part of the Comoy family. It says Made in London in a circle with England below it. It has 483 on it. AND it uses the 3 silver art decco lines instead of the C for Comoy on the stem. Any idea when they switched from the three lines to the C? It also has a 3 hole stinger in it. I can't find much on dating these 2nd Comoys but I figured that stem change might be the biggest help. Any ideas?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This COM was used starting in the 50's to the merger point in 81-82. You can't get it any closer than that range.
Made_in_London_England.jpg

Comoy's had a finish called "Guildhall",which used the C logo stem. There is also a 2nd's line called Guildhall, which uses the 3 metal slats for the stem logo.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
But show a picture of the 3 hole stinger. If it is what I think it is, it is the same stinger used on some of the Wally Frank White Bar pipes during a certain periods so yo might be able to narrow it down that way.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
" Any idea when they switched from the three lines to the C?"
According to pipedia.com The Guildhall is the name of a line of Comoy's seconds. These pipes feature the three horizontal silver bars logo, one above the others, on the side of the stem. It was not a case of them switching from the bars to the Comoy's "C," as they are two distinct lines: the former are seconds, the latter firsts. Here is a link (Comoy's) to the subject entry on pipedia; seconds are addressed at the bottom thereof.
Having stated that, I believe that you will find your pipe to be an excellent smoker. I have two such estate pipes and they are among my favorites with well-figured and cured briar, spot-on drilling, and comfortable stems. May yours become a good companion.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Good call, Snag!
I had one of those WF White Bars early on but I didn't love the shape. I don't remember the a three hole stinger though.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.