PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
The pipe is a small bulldog, Group 2, with a saddle bit. On the bottom of the shank is stamped Dunhill Tanshell C, and below that Made in England 17. To the left is stamped 1938, and below that 224. The 1938 does not represent a date, since the Tanshells were made from 1952 on. I got the pipe new in 1990. If anyone has any ideas about when the pipe was made, any details, etc., I'd be most appreciate.

Thanks,

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I believe you add the number following the "Made in" to 1960, which would be a 1977, unless it was prior to the 1960 and after the patent era, early '50s I believe. Not sure what the 1938 stands for, and I know that if it was indeed a '38 it would have a Pat No.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
It is very common for folks to buy a dunhill new, years after it was made. Now, I agree that 13yrs is a big difference, but my local B&M had a Butera straight grain sit from 94 and it sold in January. The price on it was $680 and I got a 20% off total. For a NEW Butera, box and all. Pipes can sit for a long time, gl get tucked away, or simply not sell.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I think you may be right. It's entirely possible that the Dunhill was made in 1977, sat in the store, and was purchased in 1990, and given to me as a gift when my friends from London came over for a visit. It could very well be that because it's a group 2, it sat neglected while larger bowl pipes sold readily. My good fortune.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I'm willing to bet that, for a Dunhill pipe made in the 1970s, the "1938" is actually a shape number. Dunhill used a four-number system for a while. You can find the shape numbers, I believe, at the same site posted above, as their Dunhill guide is quite extensive.
Awesome pipe, by the way! I'm familiar with the shape/style/color of that pipe, and they're handsome buggers.
:puffpipe:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The 1938 stamp doesn't sync with the four digit stamp system

First Digit = bowl size, 1 is pretty rare but possible

Second Digit = stem style (taper, saddle), as far as I know there is no "9" in that system

Third/Fourth = shape. There is no shape 38. A bulldog is 04 or 08

http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/shapes.html
Sometimes shops stamp their own code, perhaps that was put on at the shop?

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
The date marking indicates that the pipe was made in 1977.
"It is very common for folks to buy a dunhill new, years after it was made."
I have a Dunhill that has two date codes, indicating it was made in 1957 and shipped by Dunhill 6 years later in 1963, the year I bought it. So I'm not that surprised your pipe went unsold for 13 years. My understanding is that the British prefer the group 2 and 3 size pipes, so I don't think that's the reason it went unsold.
At any rate, it's yours to enjoy now.
Post some pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.