PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
On my way home today I stopped by the local baccy shop, centered around cigs & cigars, anyway stopped to get some cleaners & when I stop in there I like to look at there selection of Dr g, kw, mm, medicos & the like. Today there was a really cool looking little bent bulldog. I picked it out of the lazy Susan rack & holy veal its a stanwell!! The price was good I'm thinking, under $60. Nice rustication. I snagged it & ran. Now I know where's the pics, here's the deal...I got home & excited to post a pic or 2 to show it off & dropped my camera & broke it. :evil: No fear phones have cameras. Now my stinking email isn't working its still tryin to send some from yesterday afternoon...so its stamped stanwell, made in Denmark, vario, 191. I haven't even looked it up, but sure hope its as good a pipe as it looks like it is!! I'll get some pics soon as possible, gonna try to use one of the kids phones...if I used the widest phone or camera I might have to explain a new pipe. :rofl:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Stanwells are almost universally good pipes in my experience. They always believed in buying high grade briar, I think it shows.

Sucks about your camera though !

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=94724 this is it & I got or for half price!!!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=94724 this is it & I got or for half price!!! That's def good to know lonestar. I bought cause I read good things about stanwell here.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I cant say anything about the new Italian made Stanwells, never owned one. But for a factory made pipe, to me its really hard to beat the Danish Stanwells. I've owned quite a few, they were all drilled well, excellent briar and some amazing shapes too.

I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I was worried about the pre-carbon because of a kw I had a problem with awhile back...but used aces vanilla extract trick & its smoking like a dream right now...love it, you were right lonestar

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Carpenter, you're my hero!
Now let's see... $60 clams for the pipe and... how much for the new camera? Just foolin'! Great deal. Hope it's a smoker!!!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Very cool bulldog. I have a Stanwell and I love it. Your the lucky dog though getting the good deal!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Thanks guys..I thought I was getting a good deal but once I for home & looked it up I was shocked. They had another stanwell, a cutty I think I'll go tomorrow & see what kinda deal it is!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Ok I've been reading about it & it has an acrylic stem. Is this ok? I only hear about vulcanite & lucite & those materials. They use acrylic for a lot of duck calls, so I know its durable.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Ok I've been reading about it & it has an acrylic stem. Is this ok? I only hear about vulcanite & lucite & those materials. They use acrylic for a lot of duck calls, so I know its durable.
some info- http://pipesandcigars.com/stvuvsac.html

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Lucite and acrylic is pretty much the same thing. It won't oxidize as the vulcanite/ebonite does. But it's a little harder on the teeth when clenching. The vulcanite tends to "give" a little more.

All those pipes I show with colored or swirly looking stems ? Always lucite/acrylic. My Sav 616 ? Ditto. So it's not a big deal. I actually prefer them since it's less maintenance.
You scored good man. I have one stanwell and it smokes like a champ. For $60, you did real well.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Thanks for the info. I smoked some of your mark twain in it this evening Mick, it smokes every bit as good as it looks. :mrgreen:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I found a Comoy's like that once. Only one in the shop, which was full of Vikings and Romas; good pipes, I am sure, but not like this Comoy's. It may be a Ford in England, but it's definitely a Mercedes here. Hope your Stanwell is at least that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.