PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm stilla aging my only tin, but I'd guess trying some of the dark-fired blends, not for a match, but for something that fills the gap.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I would also like to hear some opinions from the fans out there. Tried it once at a pipe club and thought WOW.

Never got around to picking up a tin, so finding a match or replacement for it would be great.
That said, I’d love to get a tin of DS for my celllar to open on a special ocaission, if anyone is interested in a trade. PM me.

Cheers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic, right, the complaints have enabled me to age my tin of Dark Star without much temptation. Someone said it helps to run it through a spice grinder, or in some other way reduce the size of the pieces.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Dark Star has no replacements! "Bright yellow, sugary top grade Virginia and Carolina leaf. Through careful triple aging, pressing and stoving, it becomes rich, cool and dark"
Butera had Dark Stoved that was very similar but that was made by McC as well.
I never have hard time packing or keeping it lit! it makes me laugh every time I read that and oh yeah the Ketchup thing too! way overblown. Is it little more process! yes, it is not friendly as ribbon cut! big deal. But it is no pain to pack or smoke at all. Its in my top 5 blends.

Reactions: brendhain

goodfellaslxa

Lurker
Mar 21, 2017
Louisiana
Unfortunately, I only popped my 1 tin of Darkstar right before McClellageddon, and was only able to scoop up a few tins before they were sold out. As for the difficulty of smoking it... I highly recommend using an "herb" grinder. A couple of twists really helps to tear it up and make it much more smokeable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sure helps to know when a blend needs special attention, so you don't open the tin while licking your chops to pack and light up. If you know in advance, you can smoke something else while you open, prep, and dry out as necessary, the higher maintenance blends. You know to pay more attention and work at getting the goodness.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Through careful triple aging..."
How does one triple age something? If you age tobacco for say a year, then age it another year then again another year.....that would make it three years aged not triple aged. Or am I missing something as usual :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Jay's point well taken. I can only guess that the aging process, whatever that entails, might be interrupted and then re-started, thereby altering the balance of aerobic & anaerobic microbes at various times. Claims like that should be accompanied by an explanation.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Never was a fan of Dark Star.
IMO, it's stoved way too much, leaving it pretty much flavourless. Tastes are subjective, though.
Only thing that comes to mind as something close is Rattray's Black Virginia and maybe Dark Fragrant. Rob McConnell's Maduro is another. All kinda like tobacco charcoal, imho. YMMV. :wink:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A lot of people will say Rattray's Dark Fragrant is close to McC/DS, but I think oldtoby's suggestion is a closer match; but it's been a while since I've smoked this style of Va.

May 4, 2015
COULD we be correct in calling Dark Star a Cavendish? I remember briefly having this discussion with someone. I read somewhere that it is steam pressed, which is functionally what Cavendish-ing is, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.