PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I love Dark Star but like many find it temperamental. This evening, I had about half a flakes worth and decided to combine it with a flake of FVF. Wow, this is a great smoke. I did microwave the DS before combining the 2. Very smooth and Burns well.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
When its good, it's real good, but yes, it's temperamental. I remember an old post about it from forum member Cobguy........

(I miss that dude).......... Good stuff, that. I have a mid 1990's tin I've been saving.......... one of these days!

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ode-to-dark-star

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
It is still amazing by itself, but the stars have to be in perfect alignment for me.

I feel exactly the same way. I don't find Darkstar as difficult as some, but it's either a blah smoke or amazing. There isn't a middle ground with this one for me

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Dark Star is really delicious but for me it's like trying to keep asbestos lit. I've tried every sort of prep - extra drying, fine cube cut, coffee grinder, smaller pipe, larger pipe etc. - and the darn stuff just won't burn well for me so I lose interest in a hurry. Combining it with another more user-friendly tobacco that burns well might be a better option.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeh, my last tin reminded me that I really love this one mixed with other Virginias. I cube cut it and mixed it in with some Christmas Cheer. It is still amazing by itself, but the stars have to be in perfect alignment for me.

You are basically describing their Red & Black Flake

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My unopened Dark Star tin keeps getting passed over for tobacco that may be less demanding, Haddo's Delight, Potlatch, and Riverboat Gambler ... and a couple dozen others. I think I can handle it -- dry it, microwave it, mix it with Perique. But summoning the patience may take some presence of mind. Some days, Prince Albert is about right.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I remember trying to smoke DS back in the day and getting frustrated with it's burning qualities. If I were going to try smoking it today I would treat it like I do Samuel Gawith Full Virginia in bulk form which is also a bitch. I dry it some, cube cut it into small cubes, and then smoke it in a group 4 Dublin. I pack the tobacco firmly so there is some resistance and I have had great results with this combo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cigr', maybe I'll print off your post and tape it to the tin, as a reminder. I won't start out in a total void. I certainly have a platoon of group 4 Dublins. Tks!

Status
Not open for further replies.