PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Daniel Mustran is a carver whose work I have admired for quite awhile. I have skulked around his site (http://tnd-pipes.com) but have never managed to buy one of his pipes. Today smokingpipes added a couple four of his pipes and I picked up two, a Volcano and a blowfish. The description of his engineering at smokingpipes seemed right up my alley: "His draft holes are bored to either 4.0 or 4.2mm, his tenons come in at 3.8 - 4.0mm, and, towards the button, Daniel cuts his stems to form a 'Y', reducing airflow resistance and to ensuring an easy draw." Those are Castello-like draft dimensions, so I felt these must be good smokers. Here are the pipes.
First, the volcano.This pipe was made using a piece of plateaux briar from Italy. She has several rings on shank made from acrylic, b&w ebony and padauk.

The second is a blowfish shape. This pipe was made using a piece of ebauchon briar "extra-extra quality" from Italy (whatever that means). She has several rings made from black acrylic rod, padauk and morta.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Both incredible but I personally love that volcano. Absolutely gorgeous. If it smokes half as good as it looks then its money well spent!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I see a lot of Daniel's work finished and in process- he does some nice work!

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Shape, stain color, grain, stem work, inlays....

Those pipes got it all goin on!!
That's some other level artistry. Good score Peck.
I especially like the unusual natural/contrast stain on the blowfish.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Beyond Imagination. Lost my word.

First one looks like a real Mountain Volcano.

Second one a Blow fish and I feel like looking a Tropical Conch Shell.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Holy puffin' Peck! Those are some totally awesome hunks of briar. Color me totally green with envy! :worship:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Wow! GREAT looking pipes. I'm going to have to find out more about Mr. Mustran.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Nice Peck, I can state my pipe by Daniel is a great smoker, and looker.
9783846133_14efb73e87_c.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Holy smokes, Peck! Those are absolutely stunning! Congrats and enjoy the heck out of them. I'd be afraid to smoke them 8O But I'm sure I'd come around eventually lol. Wow! Fishbanjo, yours is quite stunning as well :)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
They are for a loss of words stunning, I would just look at them everyday, I don't believe I would smoke them, just leave them as Virgins. Peck leave them alone.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Daniel has worked really hard to develop a unique style, and IMO it's very difficult to make something that's unique that looks good too. His style is always complicated and takes chances but he has worked hard enough, long enough, to make this unique style look good. On top of that, he is a really good guy too. Good picks Peck !

Status
Not open for further replies.