Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
LOL. Hope this doesn't gross anyone out, but I think it is sort of cool. Funny about Pets and Pet owners.
003-6.jpg

002-10.jpg

shawn

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Now is that chicken on your plate? If so, your bird may need some counseling after dinner.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya, I am afraid she is spoiled rotten. We have only had her a few Months and we cannot believe how attached we have become. The only time she is in her cage is when we are not home, and her bedtime, which is 9:00pm. Other than that, she has the run of the House. I even take her to the Gym room here, while I am using the weights she sits and watches me, when I am on the treadmill, she sits on the handle of it.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
She is a cutie for sure fisher. I forget what species of bird she is and what her name is. Could you tell us again?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I heard that parrots take a dump every 15 minutes, I am guessing those birds are a bit better behaved? Would be rather cool to have a bird like yours.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I forget what species of bird she is and what her name is. Could you tell us again?
Her name is Lucy, she is a 4yr old Quacker Parrot, (sometimes called Monk Parrot)
I heard that parrots take a dump every 15 minutes, I am guessing those birds are a bit better behaved
No mate, she is no better behaved. We are currently "Pottie" training her. She squats when she wants to unload, so she can often be corrected at that time and taken over to her "Pottie Spottie". You can't always catch her in time but we keep a "Wipie" handy at all times. Small price to pay for the affection she gives us. Good nite kisses, thank you's, peek-a-boo games, whistling, clucking, singing, dancing etc. and the list goes on.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As a bird owner, I get that. My neighbors think I'm a little weird I'm sure, sometimes walking around with bird poop on my shoulder. We have oatmeal every morning. As soon as I start mixing it up, Stevie hears the clinking of the spoon and starts asking for his taste. Same for a late night snack. I haven't found anything he won't eat...
That is a beautiful bird, and just the right size.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Ya, I am afraid she is spoiled rotten. We have only had her a few Months and we cannot believe how attached we have become. The only time she is in her cage is when we are not home, and her bedtime, which is 9:00pm. Other than that, she has the run of the House. I even take her to the Gym room here, while I am using the weights she sits and watches me, when I am on the treadmill, she sits on the handle of it.
That's pretty neat - you're making me want to consider a bird now! lol!
Do you ever worry she'll fly out the door if you leave it open too long?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Our cat would jump on top of the cage and sit there, watching the bird. That is until Stevie reached out and gave him a good bit on the paw. Now, he sits on the sofa and watches from a respectable distance. We're at the beach this week, left the cat/bird at home. The sitter reports no issues.

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
That's great! I have always thought about getting a bird, but considering my wife's limits, the poop is a major negative. Maybe one day when the kids get older we will miss how much the house is a mess and won't mind a bird.

My cat jumps on my lap every time i eat and slowly tries to sneak in on my plate.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Birds are a bit of a chore to clean up after, even our smaller one. He leans out of the cage and poops on the floor at least daily. If you don't get it right away, it gets hard as concrete and can be a task to clean up. We never figured out whey he leans out, but guess he doesn't want to poop where he sleeps! I take apart and clean the cage weekly, adding fresh bedding, that takes about 25 minutes or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.